Old 05-07-2003, 01:45 AM
shannie

Default Seed catalogues

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1fxkizc.1712yi21r8js8wN%00senetnospamtodayta@ macunlimited.net...
shannie wrote:

Hi All,

I've never had seed catalogues but I see a lot of urglers refer to them
here. Are they overall cheaper than gc's? The average packet of veg

seeds
here is euro 2.35 which is about £1.50stg, is this expensive? Unless

your
talking cucumber seeds which cost euro 5.00 (£3.00stg) for five seeds

When
would be the time to order the catalogues? If there is anyone in Ireland
reading and uses them could you let me know if there are any irish

companies
with catalogues and if not do the uk catalogues post to here. Anyone

favour
one over the other and why?

Sorry for all the questions :-/
Many thanks
--

Shan (Ireland)
http://ukdiscus.com/main.htm

Try a search for 'seed suppliers' or seed merchants at:

http://www.google.ie/search?q=seeds&...-1&hl=en&meta=
ee also

http://directory.google.com/Top/Regi...ngdom/Business
_and_Economy/Shopping/Home_and_Garden/Gardens/Plants/Seeds/
http://directory.google.com/Top/Regi...ngdom/Business
_and_Economy/Industries/Agriculture_and_Forestry/Horticulture/Seeds/

Catalogues favoured by me..

Future foods, Gnostic Gardens, Chilterns Seeds, T&M (mainly for ref,
they are expensive) You will find that non hybrid seeds are generally
cheaper (hence the high price of hybrid cucumber seed)
HDRA catalogue (The organic Gardening catalogue), Tamar organics
(competitive), THomas Etty Esq, Kings (worth getting for their 'potato
guide' in their catalogue! Also occasionally from Marshalls as we stock
them in our local allotments trading shed.. I tend to avoid the big
guys, Dobies, Suttons, plenty of their products are just that, and
funded by Agropharmer co's.

Most of the above's sites are listed he

http://directory.google.com/Top/Regi...ngdom/Business
_and_Economy/Shopping/Home_and_Garden/Gardens/Plants/Seeds/

and will post within the EC under the relavent legislation (See DEFRA
pages on seed etc)

Point and click,.. shoot off a few emails and wait for the post;-) A
lot also have good websites if you can't wait that long;-)

Whiile your at it you might also look for 'Seed Savers' and Seed
Sharing.. A lot of people save their own seed and share it with others
(We do this in URG) IT may not come with the gaurantee's of a large
company, but its a hell of a lot cheaper and good fun;-)
//
Jim
North London, England, UK

Thanks Jim That'll keep me busy for a while

Shan