Old 05-07-2003, 02:44 PM
Iris Cohen

Default Complete newbie (please be kind)

I think it is better to be mean to newbies before they get hopelessly addicted.
;-)

I live in southern New Hampshire and I am
wanting try trees from my local area. BRBR

There are a number of species which are suitable for bonsai, but it might be
better to start with a nursery tree, as collected trees are more difficult.
Sugar maple is unsuitable. Don't know what you mean by white maple. The only
maple in the Northeast which is recommended for bonsai is red maple, Acer
rubrum, and it is a pain in the neck.
White pine is iffy, and also not suitable for beginners. Pitch pine and some of
the other native pines are better.
White birch is also iffy.
Hemlock is good for bonsai, but tricky. Probably the best species in your area
for collected bonsai is American larch. Read Nick Lenz' Bonsai from the Wild.

I've pulled some very small saplings with my children and we potted them
individually yesterday in small containers. BRBR

That is not the way to go. You need to grow them in the ground for a few years
first. Don't forget to keep your hemlock in the shade.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)