Old 05-07-2003, 01:44 PM
Sean Lowe

Default Complete newbie (please be kind)

Hi all,

I've decided to get my feet wet with this Bonsai thingie. I've always
marveled at these interesting trees whenever I visit a nursery and my
curiousity have finally piqued a desire to try it out for myself.
I have visited a few websites in the last week and I see *recommended*
trees for beginners and such, but I live in southern New Hampshire and I am
wanting try trees from my local area. I realize that this will most likely
be more difficult, but I really want to go this route. Why? Because I love
this state and the forests here and I'm an obstinate Yankee. That's why!
I've pulled some very small saplings with my children and we potted them
individually yesterday in small containers. One is very shallow, the others
are just small but I'm being given some true bonsai pots today for the
others.

What we have so far is:
Sugar Maple
White Maple
Hemlock
White pine
I intend on getting white birch as well.

I realize they will most likely all die, being a first attempt, but I'm
going to stick it out and keep trying!
Is there any suggestions anyone can make for a complete newbie in this
arena?

Thanks in advance for any guidance/suggestions/insight,
Sean Lowe...

Old 05-07-2003, 02:44 PM
Iris Cohen

I think it is better to be mean to newbies before they get hopelessly addicted.
;-)

I live in southern New Hampshire and I am
wanting try trees from my local area. BRBR

There are a number of species which are suitable for bonsai, but it might be
better to start with a nursery tree, as collected trees are more difficult.
Sugar maple is unsuitable. Don't know what you mean by white maple. The only
maple in the Northeast which is recommended for bonsai is red maple, Acer
rubrum, and it is a pain in the neck.
White pine is iffy, and also not suitable for beginners. Pitch pine and some of
the other native pines are better.
White birch is also iffy.
Hemlock is good for bonsai, but tricky. Probably the best species in your area
for collected bonsai is American larch. Read Nick Lenz' Bonsai from the Wild.

I've pulled some very small saplings with my children and we potted them
individually yesterday in small containers. BRBR

That is not the way to go. You need to grow them in the ground for a few years
first. Don't forget to keep your hemlock in the shade.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 05-07-2003, 05:32 PM
Bill Butler

On 05 Jul 2003 13:45:16 GMT, (Iris Cohen) wrote:
r collected bonsai is American larch. Read Nick Lenz' Bonsai from the
Wild.

I've pulled some very small saplings with my children and we potted them
individually yesterday in small containers. BRBR

That is not the way to go. You need to grow them in the ground for a few years
first. Don't forget to keep your hemlock in the shade.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

In the ground is best for collected trees. I recommend digging a hole
about 18 inches deep, lining the bottom with slate or some other
inorganic sheet material, and planting the tree with the same soil
that's in your garden/yard. The slate will keep the roots from
tapping too deep. The soil will not cause an imbalance in soil
moisture.

I've heard that growing bags are another way to go, but I've also been
recommended against it. Any other ideas on this?

One of the most important things you can learn at this point is what
you are doing and the results that you get for your actions. Even if
you get sound advice from a local bonsai group (the best first step)
and work on nursery stock or started bonsai, the lessons you learn
from your collected trees are just as valuable. Light, water, food,
all affect the tree in diferent ways. Some will thrive in the sun,
others will whither (that birch of yours for example). Some, if not
all, of your collected trees are on their way to a beginner's death (I
know mine were). Don't go killing trees unless you can learn from
what you did to kill them. For the ones that survive, start picturing
in your mind where you want the trees to go with respect to styling.
If you're not going to grow clump style trees, don't let trees with
basal dominance get overgrown at the base. If you want to grow formal
upright trees, start shaping/straightening the most supple saplings
before the hardwood sets into curves. If you want to do a broom
style, then remove the lower most branches and let the top take off
for a few years.

Good luck!

Bill Butler
Old 05-07-2003, 11:20 PM
Sean Lowe

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
I think it is better to be mean to newbies before they get hopelessly

addicted.

snip

Thanks for your (and all others') reply, but I have one question about one
of your comments.
That is not the way to go. You need to grow them in the ground for a few

years
first.

snip
It's that comment...won't they grow too large and have far too many roots if
they are grown in the ground "for a few years"? Or, once removed from the
ground, will I be pruning the living bejeezus out of them to make them
suitable?
The reason I am not buying nursery plants or ready-made bonsai is the cost.
I'm not exactly rich and can't see paying money to murder poor innocent
plants to get good at this. I've got a fairly decent track record with
vegetable gardening and indoor plants where, while not exactly along the
same science of Bonsai, at least I have had a little luck with horticulture.
And I have plenty of patience.

Again, thanks for your reply!

Sean.

Old 09-07-2003, 09:56 AM
wsallen

Sean Lowe wrote in message ...

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
I think it is better to be mean to newbies before they get hopelessly

addicted.

snip

Thanks for your (and all others') reply, but I have one question about one
of your comments.
That is not the way to go. You need to grow them in the ground for a few

years
first.

snip
It's that comment...won't they grow too large and have far too many roots

if
they are grown in the ground "for a few years"? Or, once removed from the
ground, will I be pruning the living bejeezus out of them to make them
suitable?

The idea is to get them to grow large, at least in the trunk area. 'In the
ground' is really unrivalled for increasing trunk girth (and thust the
impression of age). Yes you may have to do some initial large trunk/branch
chops, but a combination of the tree's ability to grow back and your rubbing
out of any shoots that are _too_ unsuitable should minimise that problem.
As to the root situation, a few carefull jabs with a *sharp* spade once a
year and an impermeable barrier (metal, stone, hard plastic) under the tree
should help there.

The reason I am not buying nursery plants or ready-made bonsai is the cost.
I'm not exactly rich and can't see paying money to murder poor innocent
plants to get good at this. I've got a fairly decent track record with
vegetable gardening and indoor plants where, while not exactly along the
same science of Bonsai, at least I have had a little luck with

horticulture.
And I have plenty of patience.

I hear you there! However if you purchase some hardy type plants that strike
easily from cuttings you can get several trees for the price of one. In my
own area (Perth, Western Australia) that would be Ficus sp. and Chinese
Elms.

Join your local club. The are an invaluable source of local knowledge,
cuttings, books (club library) and demonstrations.

Cheers,
Heidi Aussie

Again, thanks for your reply!

Sean.