Old 06-07-2003, 12:33 AM
kevin bailey

Default [IBC] Complete newbie (please be kind)

This is why you really need to do some basic reading. Growing in the
ground will allow much faster development which will enable you to make
many choices of new branches, leaders, develop girth, root spread
(nebari), aged bark and many of the other desirable characteristics.

The roots that develop are often more readily cut back if the plant is
vigorous.

If you have the ground, patience and some horticultural skill, there's
nothing to stop you from planting out as many as you can and allowing
them to develop as experimental stock. No matter what you do, I
guarantee you'll get faster results this way. Meanwhile read,read,read.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

Thanks for your (and all others') reply, but I have one question about
one
of your comments.
That is not the way to go. You need to grow them in the ground for a

few
years
first.

snip
It's that comment...won't they grow too large and have far too many
roots if
they are grown in the ground "for a few years"? Or, once removed from
the
ground, will I be pruning the living bejeezus out of them to make them
suitable?
The reason I am not buying nursery plants or ready-made bonsai is the
cost.
I'm not exactly rich and can't see paying money to murder poor innocent
plants to get good at this. I've got a fairly decent track record with
vegetable gardening and indoor plants where, while not exactly along the
same science of Bonsai, at least I have had a little luck with
horticulture.
And I have plenty of patience.

Again, thanks for your reply!

Sean.