Old 06-07-2003, 01:32 AM
Carl L Rosner

Default [IBC] Complete newbie (please be kind)

Sean:
When you plant the trees in the ground, try and place a large ceramic
tile or some of those humidity trays that arte useless, several inches
under the tree. This will force the roots to spread out rather than
downwards. They will be easier to prune when the time come to put them
in pots...

Good luck, and enjoy the hobby... it is addicting!

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

Sean Lowe wrote:

snip
It's that comment...won't they grow too large and have far too many roots if
they are grown in the ground "for a few years"? Or, once removed from the
ground, will I be pruning the living bejeezus out of them to make them
suitable?
The reason I am not buying nursery plants or ready-made bonsai is the cost.
I'm not exactly rich and can't see paying money to murder poor innocent
plants to get good at this. I've got a fairly decent track record with
vegetable gardening and indoor plants where, while not exactly along the
same science of Bonsai, at least I have had a little luck with horticulture.
And I have plenty of patience.

Again, thanks for your reply!

Sean.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++