Old 06-07-2003, 03:44 AM
John DeBoo

Default Pampas grass problem

Lyn wrote:
"gregpresley" wrote in message ...

Whatever you do, wear thick gloves, HEAVY JEANS AND SHIRT, before you tackle
this job. The blades of pampas grass are very sharp and will leave little
nicks all over your body. I actually like it when it's planted in
appropriate spots, so I divided a clump at my house in Florida. I think it
took me a week to recover......LOL.. It does have a large root system, but
if your soil is open enough, and you soften the ground first by thorough
watering, you can dig it out - it's not like tree roots.

Thanks to all who responded. While I think it could be attractive
elsewhere, where we have it, it is NOT. The Pampas Grass has GOT TO
GO!

We have a lot of it at the golf course I worked at recently. It was
cut back every spring and got to a point we had to remove some of
the huge clumps. We could only get them out with a backhoe, then a
chain around the exposed roots. Nothing else worked. A coworker
had it at his home and it took over. He worked at it nightly for 2
weeks and couldn't get it out. He paid a company a pretty hefty sum
to spend 2 more days getting it out. Couldn't fit a tractor into
his backyard.