Old 06-07-2003, 02:44 PM
Jim Carter

Default Zones

On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 22:47:37 -0400, Andy Petro wrote
in rec.gardens.edible:

I wish that everyone writing to Rec.gardens would either specify the
climate zone or city they live in. I am in Toronto , Ontario, zone 5 and
just starting to see the odd minute tomato on the plants . It will be a
long time before i see any ripe ones. , but if i knew where you lived it
would be easier to accept . I also learned that the zones in Canada and
the Us are classified the same way. Where can i get information on this.

These are known as Plant Hardiness Zones. The Canadian zones can be found at

http://sis.agr.gc.ca/cansis/nsdb/cli...ss/webmap.html

and are assigned by Agriculture Canada. Click on the map a few times to zoom in
to your area. The American zones were developed by The United States Department
of Agriculture and includes part of Canada. I believe their site is at

www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/ushzmap.html , but it is down at this moment (score

one for the Canucks) so I cannot confirm it.
--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a