Old 06-07-2003, 02:57 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default nasturtium

"Steve & Erin" wrote:

I have a pot of Alaskan Mix and Peach Melba nasturtium on the deck. Full
sun, has had one dose of Miracle Grow, but... many leaves are turning brown
and so far not a single bud.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
Erin

Erin, Could be too much water keeping air from getting to the roots.

I grew Alaska Mix, Peach Melba & Milkmaid. The Peach Melba and
Milkmaid have been blooming for 2-4 weeks now. The Alaskas, while they
are bushy as can be with 75-100 leaves of all different sizes, hasn't
flowered yet. I spotted the first tiny bud today.

I think the Alaska's may have gotten slightly more constant
moisture--which is maybe too much. My other flowers (petunia, sweet
alyssum, marigolds, viola) in the same bed have open blooms (all
seeded same day). The Calendula has three bulbs getting ready to open.

The Peach Melba and milkmaid are in a hanging container and get hand
watered most of June. For all of wet May they were out in the rain and
got the same moisture as the ones on the ground. That may have made
the difference for me.

Other than than the ALaska may be a later bloomer.

I have wondered if I gave the ground garden too much nitrogen but I
have some good blooms. My tomatoes are vigorous and green. I am now
seeing the first tomatoes forming.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener