Old 06-07-2003, 02:20 PM
Steve & Erin

Default nasturtium

I have a pot of Alaskan Mix and Peach Melba nasturtium on the deck. Full
sun, has had one dose of Miracle Grow, but... many leaves are turning brown
and so far not a single bud.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
Erin

Old 06-07-2003, 02:57 PM
DigitalVinyl

"Steve & Erin" wrote:

I have a pot of Alaskan Mix and Peach Melba nasturtium on the deck. Full
sun, has had one dose of Miracle Grow, but... many leaves are turning brown
and so far not a single bud.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
Erin

Erin, Could be too much water keeping air from getting to the roots.

I grew Alaska Mix, Peach Melba & Milkmaid. The Peach Melba and
Milkmaid have been blooming for 2-4 weeks now. The Alaskas, while they
are bushy as can be with 75-100 leaves of all different sizes, hasn't
flowered yet. I spotted the first tiny bud today.

I think the Alaska's may have gotten slightly more constant
moisture--which is maybe too much. My other flowers (petunia, sweet
alyssum, marigolds, viola) in the same bed have open blooms (all
seeded same day). The Calendula has three bulbs getting ready to open.

The Peach Melba and milkmaid are in a hanging container and get hand
watered most of June. For all of wet May they were out in the rain and
got the same moisture as the ones on the ground. That may have made
the difference for me.

Other than than the ALaska may be a later bloomer.

I have wondered if I gave the ground garden too much nitrogen but I
have some good blooms. My tomatoes are vigorous and green. I am now
seeing the first tomatoes forming.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener
Old 06-07-2003, 03:44 PM
Steve & Erin

well, the too much water would make sense considering the constant rain in
June!
any suggestions on how to speed up the buds? More MG?

Old 06-07-2003, 06:56 PM
DigitalVinyl

"Steve & Erin" wrote:

well, the too much water would make sense considering the constant rain in
June!
any suggestions on how to speed up the buds? More MG?

I don't know if that will help. I use liquid seaweed when I see a
plant in trouble. It is 0-4-4 and has lots of micronutrients. MG may
do the same.

I've got a tomato, a pepper & some snow peas that had bad drainage. I
think I have fixed the drainage, but in the meantime I'm holding off
on watering. When the moisture in the ground drys up I'm going to use
the seaweed concnetrate again.

I'm hoping they will all bounce back. The peas have resumed growth and
the pepper looks better. The tomato is still scraggy and browning.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener
Old 07-07-2003, 07:32 AM
gregpresley

I'm guessing that the Alaska strain might be a little slower growing because
of its variegated leaves - (variegated-leaved plants are usually less
vigorous than all green leaved plants.).

Old 08-07-2003, 10:56 PM
Jim W

Steve & Erin wrote:

I have a pot of Alaskan Mix and Peach Melba nasturtium on the deck. Full
sun, has had one dose of Miracle Grow, but... many leaves are turning brown
and so far not a single bud.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Feeding them.. Nastie's like a poor well drained soil (tho adquate
water) Could be they are getting too hot during midday, though they do
ususally like sun.

Be patient with the flowers.. I've never known an annual like nasties to
not try and flower once day length reduces.

It is normal for some of the leaves to wilt and go yellow/brown in
stress conditions or until well extablished, particularly with cultivars
(they lose some vigour through breeding)
//
Jim

[IMG] code is On

Whyi is it impossible to wet Nasturtium leaves Graham Dixon United Kingdom 11 03-07-2004 12:05 PM
Is this nasturtium? Sam Gardening 3 26-10-2003 05:22 AM
Nasturtium??? Common name? Sam Gardening 6 24-10-2003 12:32 AM
Thompson&Morgan Nasturtium Cobra Plants Terryfilby United Kingdom 0 24-07-2003 11:02 AM
Trollius Seeds and strange nasturtium Glenda Young United Kingdom 0 19-11-2002 08:03 PM