Old 06-07-2003, 03:08 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default Cucumbers supported on cornstalks

(Glenna Rose) wrote:

writes:

I usually plant cucumbers and corn together, so the cucumber vines
can "lean" on the corn stalks.

However, this year, because of cool spring and my own disorganization
g the cucumbers are way ahead of the corn.

Q: Should I let the cucumbers sprawl out on the ground, or put them in
cages until the corn catches up, or...? Space is tight.

Suggestions appreciated.

I'm listening also. I planted pole beans with corn and many of the bean
plants are taller than the corn. This is also a concern because some of
the beans seem to have the tops of the corn "closed" and looks like they
should be "unwound" if it doesn't get better in the next two or three days.

Next year, I'll plant the beans a week later than the corn, or something
like that. I'd hate to think where the squash would be if it were also
planted as was the original intention.

I haven't tried beans or cucumbers yet but consider whether they are
blocking the sun from getting to your corn.

One of my corn came up too close to the sprawl of my pumpkin. The
pumpkin quickly grew giant leaves all around and over the corn and
stunted it. WHile other corn were 2' tall it was only 6". I cut one
large leaf away and tucked down others and the corn has resumed
growth. It is now over 15" tall (still half the size of its brethren)
and able to get sun above the pumpkin leaves.

Something to think about.
DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)