Old 06-07-2003, 07:56 AM

Default Cucumbers supported on cornstalks

I usually plant cucumbers and corn together, so the cucumber vines
can "lean" on the corn stalks.

However, this year, because of cool spring and my own disorganization
g the cucumbers are way ahead of the corn.

Q: Should I let the cucumbers sprawl out on the ground, or put them in
cages until the corn catches up, or...? Space is tight.

Suggestions appreciated.

--

Persephone

Old 06-07-2003, 03:08 PM
DigitalVinyl

(Glenna Rose) wrote:

writes:

I usually plant cucumbers and corn together, so the cucumber vines
can "lean" on the corn stalks.

However, this year, because of cool spring and my own disorganization
g the cucumbers are way ahead of the corn.

Q: Should I let the cucumbers sprawl out on the ground, or put them in
cages until the corn catches up, or...? Space is tight.

Suggestions appreciated.

I'm listening also. I planted pole beans with corn and many of the bean
plants are taller than the corn. This is also a concern because some of
the beans seem to have the tops of the corn "closed" and looks like they
should be "unwound" if it doesn't get better in the next two or three days.

Next year, I'll plant the beans a week later than the corn, or something
like that. I'd hate to think where the squash would be if it were also
planted as was the original intention.

I haven't tried beans or cucumbers yet but consider whether they are
blocking the sun from getting to your corn.

One of my corn came up too close to the sprawl of my pumpkin. The
pumpkin quickly grew giant leaves all around and over the corn and
stunted it. WHile other corn were 2' tall it was only 6". I cut one
large leaf away and tucked down others and the corn has resumed
growth. It is now over 15" tall (still half the size of its brethren)
and able to get sun above the pumpkin leaves.

Something to think about.
DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)
Old 13-07-2003, 01:20 AM
Dave Allyn

Would be interested to hear if more expert gardeners think there's a
problem in "closing" the tops of the corn. Always ready to learn

I'm no "expert gardner" but having grown up with farms (and therefore
corn) all around, I can tell you.. the tops MUST be alowed to open.
That is, if you expect to actally get any corn off the plants. No
opens, no pollinates, no corns...

You want the other side of it though? You don't have to open every
one. about every 3rd or 4th will provide enough pollen to do the job.
some of the big seed corn companies do this to create thier hybred
corn seed. they plant four rows of "female" corn, then a row of
"male" corn, four more of "female" another "male" then they hire a
bunch of kids at minimum wage to come and pull off all the tassels
(the part on top that opens up) out of the "female" stalks. the
"male" corn is the only kind of pollen there is, and it will pollinate
the "female" ears. that way you have a mixed-breed (or hybred) corn
that does what they want. when it comes time for harvest, they walk
though the fields, and chop the "male" plants down. or they use
special combines that only harvest 4 rows at a time. either way, they
don't worry about the "male" rows, unless they want to save that seed
for next year.

Incidently, on a slightly differant thread: that is why hybred
tomatos, peaches, and about everything else that is hybred will not
reproduce the exact same fruit. To create the same fuit, you need to
create the same conditions. i.e.: Male "A" and Female "B" to create
Hybred "C". Hybred "C" and hybred "C" will not create more "C's".

Central IL small garden, but do my best!

email: daveallyn at bwsys dot net
please respond in this NG so others
can share your wisdom as well!