Old 06-07-2003, 06:30 PM
animaux

Default Bickering New Yorkers: was Nitrate fertilizers and airport security

On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 18:13:55 -0500, Libralove wrote:

Actually, I'm a also a native New Yorker, came to Austin in the
seventies, as was also my mother born and raised on the upper East
Side of Manhattan. She raised me with the stern warning that having a
big mouth and being abrasive was a quality of taxi drivers and not
necessarily New Yorkers in general. As she used to caution me, watch
your language, you don't want to sound like you're from Brooklyn.

Geez... what an elitist broad who raised you! :/ I have lots of friends in
Brooklyn. What's the problem with sounding like being from Brooklyn? I love
that Mel Brooks Brooklyn attitude!

Get over yourself!

Exactly. I was raised to be culturally and racially tolerant. I was raised by
people who actually had sex, loved cinema, father was a hair dresser(lost him
ten years ago and still cry when I see his photo), mother is a social worker,
now married to a black man, liberal background, complete with New York attitude
which is superior in friendliness than any Texas born I'd met, to date.

And still, with all of that, I am more than willing to wait or be detained at
the airport security gate for whatever it takes to insure we have a safe flight.
Perhaps if they'd been doing this all along we would not have had to watch the
Twin Towers (which I watched being built because at that time we lived in what
is now called, Tribecca) and lost many thousands of lives.

It takes quite a bit to terrorize a New Yorker, and that event tops them all.
I'm sorry if I feel justified in agreeing with detention at the airport.