Old 06-07-2003, 09:47 PM
JStobbs

Default What to do with pond fish in the winter?

What zone are you in?
How big is your pond?
John.
Assiniboia, SK
Canada
Just new and just finished my 400 gallon pond.
I live in Zone 3a.
"Hank Pagel" wrote in message
I use a cheap air pump and air stone to maintain a hole in the ice.
The more snow the better, it insulates from wind chill. I only put the
air stone down one foot so it does not stir up the bottom. I have
never lost a fish in the winter.
"E.Otter" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
My parents have property that is perfect for a large outdoor fish

pond,
except during the winter where temperatures are usually far below

freezing
most of the time. There are several natural ponds nearby and all of

them
are frozen from December to the end of February.

What do people do with their pond fish during winter? Catch them

and bring
them indoors? Install a heater for the pond? Leave it as is and

the fish
will be OK?

Thanks,
E.Otter