Old 05-07-2003, 02:56 AM
E.Otter

Default What to do with pond fish in the winter?

My parents have property that is perfect for a large outdoor fish pond,
except during the winter where temperatures are usually far below freezing
most of the time. There are several natural ponds nearby and all of them
are frozen from December to the end of February.

What do people do with their pond fish during winter? Catch them and bring
them indoors? Install a heater for the pond? Leave it as is and the fish
will be OK?

Thanks,
E.Otter

Old 05-07-2003, 03:32 AM
K30a

E.Otter wrote Leave it as is and the fish
will be OK?

If you are digging a large natural pond on the property then the answer is:
Usually, fish will be fine *if* the pond is not over stocked and if it is not
an unduely harsh winter, most ponds do fine.

If you are going to be making a smaller lined ornamental pond then you must
plan ahead. It would help to know the general location your parents are in,
what size they are planning and if they are going to run electricity to the
pond.

k30a
Old 05-07-2003, 11:09 PM
E.Otter

They live on a mountain thats in the Town of Canadaigua (not City of
Canandaigua), New York (approx 50 miles southeast of Rochester). Harsh
winters? They usually have snowfall starting in mid-November and the temp
is always 10 degrees lower in there location than the valley where the city
of canadaigua is. Area ponds always freeze safe enough for playing hockey
and remain that way for at least a month or two.

It would be an ornamental pond approx 6 to 8' in diameter and maybe 3 to 4'
deep. The pond would definitely freeze in the winter. Electricity can be
run to the pond.

Old 06-07-2003, 12:44 AM
RED1102

I Live in Northern NJ and have a pond about the same size, about 700 gals.
We keep our pump running all winter & have a deicer that floats on the surfce
to keep an opening. WE had a bad winter this year, alot of snow & all my fish
did fine.
Carole
Old 06-07-2003, 04:08 AM
K30a

Another method is an air pump and air stone underwater.
I bought mine here -
HREF="http://www.aquaticecosystems.com/aquatic1v1/index.icl"http://www.aq
uaticecosystems.com/aquatic1v1/index.icl/A

k30a

Old 06-07-2003, 03:22 PM
Denise

As long as you have hole in the ice for gasses to escape, the fish will
do fine staying in pond through winter.

Since my pond is not deep enough, my three koi enjoy winter vacation in
large tank. I bring them in late fall and put out in pond in May. The
bonus is seeing the colorful koi in lighted tank and they really get to
know you, being fed in tank and watching you all day :-)

Old 06-07-2003, 05:09 PM
BTC/TAK on ACK

Another method is an air pump and air stone underwater.

I do both the air pump & stone and keep the pump & filter running all
winter. Our winters [Nantucket, MA] aren't quite as cold as up-state NY's,
but this past winter was unusually icy. All my fish survived well... most
friends who didn't work at keeping ice open lost all of theirs... so the
effort [and $$$] seems to have been worth it.

Mila

Old 06-07-2003, 06:44 PM
Hank Pagel

I use a cheap air pump and air stone to maintain a hole in the ice.
The more snow the better, it insulates from wind chill. I only put the
air stone down one foot so it does not stir up the bottom. I have
never lost a fish in the winter.
rthlink.net...

Old 06-07-2003, 09:47 PM
JStobbs

What zone are you in?
How big is your pond?
John.
Assiniboia, SK
Canada
Just new and just finished my 400 gallon pond.
I live in Zone 3a.
"Hank Pagel" wrote in message
I use a cheap air pump and air stone to maintain a hole in the ice.
The more snow the better, it insulates from wind chill. I only put the
air stone down one foot so it does not stir up the bottom. I have
never lost a fish in the winter.
rthlink.net...