Old 07-07-2003, 01:45 AM
Tono

Default Tiger Lily

Vox Humana wrote:

"B & J" wrote in message

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

"spider" wrote in message
.. .

Here in Pennsylvania we have daylily that grows along side our roads

and

all

us Pennsylvania Dutch folks
call them tiger lilies. I have never seen them for sale at any of the

local

shops. dose any one know the lily I'm talking about and more important

where

I can get some?

I use the double version of "ditch" day lilies for erosion control in my
sloped yard and find they do well with neither care nor extra water. I
planted them outside my regular raised beds, where the only nutrients they
receive come from what leaches. They do a great job of preventing soil
erosion around the edges of my iris bed as well as a large, perennial bed
and have established a thick growth of plants in the past two years. They
also do a good job of blooming in spite (or maybe because of) no care.

I agree. I have a patch of them on a slope and they work very well in
preventing erosion. I have them in full sun and mostly shade. In dry areas
and constantly moist areas and they are very reliable.

Just checking, since I've been eyeing them up lately also. Are the
ones you describe as doing well under all those conditions orange or
yellow? I was thinking of getting some of the orange ones. How
long do they bloom? And from what I recall (bad short term memory),
the leaves stay decent looking until fall don't they?

Tono