Old 07-07-2003, 02:40 AM
Theo

Default what is this cactus?

You can't see it in the picture but the plant is not spineless. It is
sparsely covered with 1"-1.5" needles.

"Cereoid-UR12yo" wrote in message
.com...
Its obviously an Opuntioid Cactus of some sort but the stem segments are

so
badly etiolated from not receiving enough light its difficult to say which
one for sure.

If I had to guess (and I do), I would say it is probably Nopalea
cochenillifera because of its spineless oblong stem segments. Will only

know
for sure if and when it blooms.

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan...nillifera.html

Nopalea has been included in Opuntia by some authors but the genus has

been
reinstated because of the different flowers and pollen morphology.

Theo wrote in message

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...f886f9734b5735
e/fbc4f441.jpg

I hope this links works because I had some trouble with it. Anyway. I

have
had this cactus for a while now and I was just wondering what it is.

Thanks
in advance for your replies.
-Theo