Old 07-07-2003, 02:46 AM
kevin bailey

Default [IBC] (me too!) Complete newbie (please be kind)

Hi Pat,

You may have some luck if you've planted lots of seeds but it's too late
in the season for many of the species you mentioned. They need the cold
treatment over the winter and then germinate in the spring. Not to
worry. Any that don't grow can be left outdoors. Sometimes they will
germinate better in their second spring. Just leave and let them
stratify naturally. Then bring them into warmer conditions next spring.

While you're waiting, try a few nursery plants, so you've got something
else to work on in the meanwhile.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

Hi!

I, also, am a beginner at Bonsai. I think they are the most wonderful
little trees ever. I live in Update New York. I have, to date: a
Fukien
Tea Tree, a Juniper Tree, and a Dwarf Fig Tree.

I have, recently (actually on July 4), planted a batch of seeds to grow
Bonsai trees. I planted the following seeds and hope that they will
grow
and do well (Japanese White Pine; Ponderosa Pine; Acer Maple [acer
palmatum-ornatum]; Trident Maple [acer buergeranum]; Amur Maple [acer
ginnala]; Chinese Juniper; Rockspray Cotoneaster [cotoneaster
horizontalis]; Japanese Black Pine; Chinese Elm; Chinese Zelkova;
Japanese
Zelkova; Korean Hornbeam; Chinese Wisteria; Monkey Pod [rain
tree-samanea
saman]; Common Olive; Desert Rose; Mugo Pine; Italian Stone Pine;
Colorado
blue Spruce; Black Locust; Japanese Pagoda Tree; Maidenhair Tree; Sacred
Japanese Cedar; Cedar of Lebanon; Japanese Pink Dogwood; siberian
Crabapple; Tree of Heaven; Monterey Cypress; Giant Sequoia; and Baobab
[lemonade tree-adansonia]. I haven't planted all of them because there
are
at least a dozen that are being cold stratified and also 4 that are
being
warm stratified. But in 2 months I will plant them as well.

Any advice or suggestions would be helpful, if you'd like to offer any.

Thank you and I look forward to chatting with you again soon,
Pat Paucke

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++