Old 07-07-2003, 02:46 AM
Alan Walker

Default [IBC] (me too!) Complete newbie (please be kind)

Pat: You've already received some good advice for your questions. I just wanted to
throw in another item for your consideration. Since you already live in upstate NY,
you have a special opportunity coming up just after Labor Day. September 5-7, 2003
will be the dates of the BCI 2003/International Bonsai Symposium which is organized
by Bill Valavanis, publisher of International Bonsai magazine. The good news for you
is that it is to be held at the Holiday Inn Airport at Rochester, NY.
Go to this event to get your best possible immersion into this great hobby of
bonsai. Not only will you see a lot of world class bonsai, but you will get a good
start to your bonsai education, have an opportunity to buy bonsai items in the
vendors' area, AND you will meet some of the nicest people you ever want to meet.
You can find registration information and such at:
http://bonsai-bci.com/index2.html
See you in September.
Alan Walker, President
Bonsai Clubs International
===================
Patricia Paucke wrote:
Hi!
I, also, am a beginner at Bonsai. I think they are the most wonderful
little trees ever. I live in Update New York. I have, to date: a Fukien
Tea Tree, a Juniper Tree, and a Dwarf Fig Tree.

I have, recently (actually on July 4), planted a batch of seeds to grow
Bonsai trees. I planted the following seeds and hope that they will grow
and do well (Japanese White Pine; Ponderosa Pine; Acer Maple [acer
palmatum-ornatum]; Trident Maple [acer buergerianum]; Amur Maple [acer
ginnala]; Chinese Juniper; Rockspray Cotoneaster [cotoneaster
horizontalis]; Japanese Black Pine; Chinese Elm; Chinese Zelkova; Japanese
Zelkova; Korean Hornbeam; Chinese Wisteria; Monkey Pod [rain tree-samanea saman];
Common Olive; Desert Rose; Mugo Pine; Italian Stone Pine; Colorado blue Spruce; Black
Locust; Japanese Pagoda Tree; Maidenhair Tree; Sacred Japanese Cedar; Cedar of
Lebanon; Japanese Pink Dogwood; siberian Crabapple; Tree of Heaven; Monterey Cypress;
Giant Sequoia; and Baobab [lemonade tree-adansonia]. I haven't planted all of them
because there are at least a dozen that are being cold stratified and also 4 that are
being warm stratified. But in 2 months I will plant them as well.
Any advice or suggestions would be helpful, if you'd like to offer any.
Thank you and I look forward to chatting with you again soon,
Pat Paucke

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++