Old 07-07-2003, 02:46 AM
Gail Futoran

Default tadpole update

"Bob Adkins" wrote
Hi Gail,

Hey Bob -

"Toadpoles" are quite small and usually have a few gold

blotches on them.

No gold blotches on these guys.

They form legs when quite small, and the toadlets are tiny

indeed. If they
hop weakly, it's a dead giveaway they are toads. Toad

tadpoles are usually
very numerous.

So far they're still swimming, even with tiny legs.

Other species are not as numerous. Bull frog tadpoles, for
example are very large, seldom form groups, are shy, and

swim very
energetically to hide. Leopard frog tadpoles are smallish

to medium, wood
frogs a medium size. Spring peepers and green tree frog

tadpoles are tiny
and seldom seen for some reason. I suspect they may spawn

in stump water if
available.

That' all I know about that. :-)

More than I know! The tiny frog I described
turns out to be a more mature version of the
tadpoles I've had all along. I finally saw one
in the stage where the large black head was
mostly frog/toad shaped but the tail was still
present.

Gail