Old 04-07-2003, 02:56 PM
Gail Futoran

Default tadpole update

About a month ago I excitedly reported finding
a bunch of tadpoles in my 200 (approx.) gal.
pond. The little suckers are taking forever to
grow but grow they are. Now some of the larger
ones (I'm talking "larger" being around the size
of a Navy bean) have teensy little feet/legs just
behind their large heads. They're SOOO cute!

In a very small "pond" (Sterlite container) in
another part of the yard I found a teensy
frog or toad (fully formed), also about the size
of a Navy bean. I'm guessing that's a different
species than the tadpoles. I moved some of the
tadpoles from the larger pond to the smaller so
I could keep better track of their growth.

Neighbors are having a July 4th party (to which
we're invited) & I'm thinking of inviting some of
the kids (w/ parents attached) over to check
out the minnows, goldfish and gadzillion tadpoles.
Good idea, bad idea?

Happy July 4th to all the Yankees in the ng.

Gail
San Antonio TX

Old 04-07-2003, 05:56 PM
Bob Adkins

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 13:51:26 GMT, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:

[...]

Hi Gail,

"Toadpoles" are quite small and usually have a few gold blotches on them.
They form legs when quite small, and the toadlets are tiny indeed. If they
hop weakly, it's a dead giveaway they are toads. Toad tadpoles are usually
very numerous. Other species are not as numerous. Bull frog tadpoles, for
example are very large, seldom form groups, are shy, and swim very
energetically to hide. Leopard frog tadpoles are smallish to medium, wood
frogs a medium size. Spring peepers and green tree frog tadpoles are tiny
and seldom seen for some reason. I suspect they may spawn in stump water if
available.

That' all I know about that. :-)

Happy Independence Day to all!

Bob
Old 04-07-2003, 06:45 PM
Heather

Every few days I make another trek out behind our place where there was lots
of areas under 1 - 2' of water in the spring. Most of the water is now
dried up so I keep scooping up the taddies I find and bring them to be
raised in an aquarium out on the deck.

This morning I looked in and on the side of the glass a tiny frog was
climbing. He had a X on his back. Real Cute. Tree frog or spring
peeper????

Found a great frog ID site at
http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/narcam/idguide/index.htm

Happy 4th to ponders south of the border. Hope you have good weather

Heather
SW Ontario (Zone 5)

Old 04-07-2003, 07:56 PM
K30a

Heather wrote He had a X on his back. Real Cute. Tree frog or spring
peeper????

Spring Peeper, or more formally known as,
Pseudacris crucifer - the cross on the back is the key to ID. He is of the
chorus frog family. To see one is a treat as they really disappear after
breeding season.

k30a

Old 04-07-2003, 10:56 PM
Heather

K30a:

Thanks for the positive ID. I had thought that's what the tadpoles were but
when he was attached to the side of the glass it surprised me into thinking
it might be a tree frog.

He was only 1/2" long, with a bit of tail yet. There are lots more yet to
morph.

Heather

Old 04-07-2003, 10:56 PM
Heather

Have to agree with Jammer here. We had just one kid over last weekend.
Thought it would make it easy if we said "Please don't step on ANYTHING that
is GREEN!

Didn't work. He did anyway. And that was only one kid. Don't get me
wrong. I like kids and am looking forward to grandchildren some day,
however they are so quick that before you can get one word out of your mouth
they have done something like walk on a new plant or stick arms with fly
spray into your precious water.

Just my opinion.

Have a great weekend.

Heather

Old 07-07-2003, 02:46 AM
Gail Futoran

"Bob Adkins" wrote
Hi Gail,

Hey Bob -

"Toadpoles" are quite small and usually have a few gold

blotches on them.

No gold blotches on these guys.

They form legs when quite small, and the toadlets are tiny

indeed. If they
hop weakly, it's a dead giveaway they are toads. Toad

tadpoles are usually
very numerous.

So far they're still swimming, even with tiny legs.

Other species are not as numerous. Bull frog tadpoles, for
example are very large, seldom form groups, are shy, and

swim very
energetically to hide. Leopard frog tadpoles are smallish

to medium, wood
frogs a medium size. Spring peepers and green tree frog

tadpoles are tiny
and seldom seen for some reason. I suspect they may spawn

in stump water if
available.

That' all I know about that. :-)

More than I know! The tiny frog I described
turns out to be a more mature version of the
tadpoles I've had all along. I finally saw one
in the stage where the large black head was
mostly frog/toad shaped but the tail was still
present.

Gail

Old 07-07-2003, 02:46 AM
Gail Futoran

"jammer" wrote in message
Do not let the kids know they are there. BAD idea.

Fortunately it never came up. The boys were
too busy making lots of loud noises/nasty smells,
the girls were too busy in the wading pools.
So my tadpoles & fish & snails had relative
peace.

Gail

Old 07-07-2003, 02:46 AM
jammer

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 00:18:23 GMT, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:

"jammer" wrote in message
.. .
Do not let the kids know they are there. BAD idea.

Fortunately it never came up. The boys were
too busy making lots of loud noises/nasty smells,
the girls were too busy in the wading pools.
So my tadpoles & fish & snails had relative
peace.

Gail

I'm not a meanie, it was probably better that way.

Old 07-07-2003, 08:03 PM
Gail Futoran

"jammer" wrote in message
On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 00:18:23 GMT, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:

"jammer" wrote in message
.. .
Do not let the kids know they are there. BAD idea.

Fortunately it never came up. The boys were
too busy making lots of loud noises/nasty smells,
the girls were too busy in the wading pools.
So my tadpoles & fish & snails had relative
peace.

Gail

I'm not a meanie, it was probably better that way.

I agree with you completely. I don't have any
kids of my own, and so don't have much
experience with adults' inability to control their
movements. Worse than herding cats, I would
guess.

My neighbor - the one who hosted the party -
likes to come over and enjoy the ponds, and
that's enough for me.

Gail

Tadpole/newt update. Doug[_10_] United Kingdom 8 14-04-2012 08:16 AM
--Tadpole info needed-- WilsonKKW Ponds 5 08-07-2004 11:03 PM
My Amazing tadpole-- true short story+ a request WilsonKKW Ponds 4 09-06-2004 03:13 PM
tadpole or toadpole??? Hank Ponds 14 12-05-2004 01:06 AM
Tadpole question Peggy Elliott Ponds 10 15-08-2003 11:14 PM