Old 07-07-2003, 04:57 AM
Tono

Default brown grass?

Punch wrote:

were having a heat wave, how can I keep my grass alive?

Next year, *before* the weather gets hot, set your lawn mower to cut
the grass much, much higher. My neighbor who fertilizes every year,
kills all the clover and anything else not resembling a perfect
blade of grass, and insists on cutting it too short, has a brown
lawn. I don't fertilize at all and mine for the most part is very
green. Also make sure your blades are kept sharp.

If it's a new lawn at a new house, they may have sold off the good
topsoil and then spread the "dead" dirt around the house. This can
take years of work to straighten out. I still have some spots where
even the clover dies off quickly in the heat. NEVER collect the
clippings. Top coating with a thin spread of other organic matter
each year will eventually do the job. I have some tall ornamental
grass that I cut down each spring. It's a lot, probably equals a
few bails of straw. I spread it in the bad parts of the lawn and
mow over it a bunch of times. In a week or two you don't see it
anymore. Also, when I weed grass out of the garden, I just throw it
in the lawn and mow over it.

Of course, this all could be different if you don't have similar
weather and soil as I do.

Tono zone 6 in PA