Old 04-07-2003, 10:44 PM
Punch

Default brown grass?

were having a heat wave, how can I keep my grass alive?

punch

Old 04-07-2003, 11:32 PM
FOW

Water it ! Duhh !
.. .

Old 04-07-2003, 11:44 PM
Joseph Meehan

It will generally stay alive but go dormant. When it cools off and gets
enough water it will come back

The choice of grass makes a big differences. What is best depends on
local conditions, your specific soil conditions, shade etc. If you are in
the US check with your local extension service to see what they recommend
for your area. They can also suggest which ones require special care or are
subject to insect or disease and should be avoided.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

.. .

Old 07-07-2003, 02:41 AM
Punch

"FOW" wrote in message
Water it ! Duhh !

and get $110 fine!

Old 07-07-2003, 04:57 AM
Tono

Punch wrote:

were having a heat wave, how can I keep my grass alive?

Next year, *before* the weather gets hot, set your lawn mower to cut
the grass much, much higher. My neighbor who fertilizes every year,
kills all the clover and anything else not resembling a perfect
blade of grass, and insists on cutting it too short, has a brown
lawn. I don't fertilize at all and mine for the most part is very
green. Also make sure your blades are kept sharp.

If it's a new lawn at a new house, they may have sold off the good
topsoil and then spread the "dead" dirt around the house. This can
take years of work to straighten out. I still have some spots where
even the clover dies off quickly in the heat. NEVER collect the
clippings. Top coating with a thin spread of other organic matter
each year will eventually do the job. I have some tall ornamental
grass that I cut down each spring. It's a lot, probably equals a
few bails of straw. I spread it in the bad parts of the lawn and
mow over it a bunch of times. In a week or two you don't see it
anymore. Also, when I weed grass out of the garden, I just throw it
in the lawn and mow over it.

Of course, this all could be different if you don't have similar
weather and soil as I do.

Tono zone 6 in PA