Old 07-07-2003, 04:10 PM
Beckenbach, Jay

Default [IBC] Complete newbie (please be kind)

Sean, by now you have received a lot of very good advice. I have followed a
similar path to the one you have outlined for the last few years so perhaps
my experiences can be of assistance. Here are my suggestions:

1. find a local bonsai club if you can and pitch in. Local clubs are a font
of local wisdom plus you can watch the more experienced members work on
their trees. There is nothing like a local club to give you the exposure to
what works in your area. Do volunteer to help. The learning from doing
what will later be menial tasks will be invaluable to you later and your
club now.

2. follow the advise about reading. Your local library is a wonderful
resource. If they do not have the book you think you want to read, such as
the "Bonsai from the Wild" previously suggested, they can probably order it
for you.

3. get dirty. There is nothing like doing it to make something real in your
mind. You will kill a number of trees from shear ignorance so do use the
local material. This has the advantage of being acclimated to your area
which means one less stress on the plant. It also means that the locals
consider it a weed so no one minds too much if one dies. I call this my
"kill-a-weed" stage and I'm still in it.

4. salvage older material. Here is an opportunity to do two good things at
the same time. In many cases, older landscaping material is being ripped
out for new construction or just to re-do the landscaping, maybe even your
own yard. The old material is destined for the landfill. Contact a local
landscaper, contractor or large company which is likely to have this type of
activity going on. I work for a university, so such activity is frequently
planned. I've gotten my club in to salvage some of that material which has
grown in the ground and been maintained by our Grounds Department for up to
50 years. If it survives this collection, it's ready to work on in a year
or two. If not, then it's trip to the landfill was delayed just a short
time.

Bonsai doesn't have to be expensive but it must be fun or you will not do it
for very long. Welcome to the lunacy and have fun - jay

Jay Beckenbach - Melrose, FL - Zone 8b/9a