Old 07-07-2003, 08:04 PM
Susan H. Simko

Default Starting up a buisness, LFS, advice

"GigaDuck" wrote:

Hello, I know this is a pond newsgroup, but was wondering if anyone knew of
wholsellers which provide fish and other items. I am planning to open up a
lfs in the dessert (sothern CA). My searches came up with little on google.

John Hines wrote:

Go to the library, in the research section, and find the D&B industry
guide. This is a series of 4-5 books, published a couple of times a
year, which has every reasonable sized business in the country.

D&B codes them with a SIC (standard industry code) so you should be able
to look up every pet wholesaler in the country.

If you have a university local to you that has a business school, try
their library first. I work at the Fuqua School of Business at Duke and
this is a staple of our library. When I used to do faculty research
support, I used to hit D&B and the Compustat databases routinely for
corporate info. Unfortunately, it's been about eight years since I did
that and I have *finally* managed to purge my memory banks of the SIC
codes or I would tell you what SIC you want to check. However, any
librarian in a b-school library should be able to help you.

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu