Old 03-07-2003, 06:32 PM
GigaDuck

Default Starting up a buisness, LFS, advice

Hello, I know this is a pond newsgroup, but was wondering if anyone knew of
wholsellers which provide fish and other items. I am planning to open up a
lfs in the dessert (sothern CA). My searches came up with little on google.
Any advice or direction would be appreciated. Thanks,
Deano

reply to (Remove the no spam :-)) )

Old 03-07-2003, 08:20 PM
John Hines

"GigaDuck" wrote:

Hello, I know this is a pond newsgroup, but was wondering if anyone knew of
wholsellers which provide fish and other items. I am planning to open up a
lfs in the dessert (sothern CA). My searches came up with little on google.

Wilson pet supply is here in the Chicago area, I see their trucks
servicing the pet stores.

Go to the library, in the research section, and find the D&B industry
guide. This is a series of 4-5 books, published a couple of times a
year, which has every reasonable sized business in the country.

D&B codes them with a SIC (standard industry code) so you should be able
to look up every pet wholesaler in the country.

If your adventurous, you can have D&B pull a report on the another pet
store, and the report should list their major suppliers/vendors.

Old 07-07-2003, 08:04 PM
Susan H. Simko

John Hines wrote:

Go to the library, in the research section, and find the D&B industry
guide. This is a series of 4-5 books, published a couple of times a
year, which has every reasonable sized business in the country.

D&B codes them with a SIC (standard industry code) so you should be able
to look up every pet wholesaler in the country.

If you have a university local to you that has a business school, try
their library first. I work at the Fuqua School of Business at Duke and
this is a staple of our library. When I used to do faculty research
support, I used to hit D&B and the Compustat databases routinely for
corporate info. Unfortunately, it's been about eight years since I did
that and I have *finally* managed to purge my memory banks of the SIC
codes or I would tell you what SIC you want to check. However, any
librarian in a b-school library should be able to help you.

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu

Old 07-07-2003, 08:40 PM
Just Me \Koi\

I live in Rancho Cucamonga (by Ontario Airport) I know of two places that
you can get Koi from at an incredible price. I will email you their phone
numbers etc. One is in Jurupa, other in Barstow!
Where is your LFS going to be located?

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 08-07-2003, 12:08 PM
Sue Alexandre

I can't hold off anymore - I have to ask..... what does LFS stand for?????
It's probably so simple and obvious I'm going to slap myself, but it's just
not coming to me!
Sue

Old 08-07-2003, 01:08 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Sue Alexandre wrote:
I can't hold off anymore - I have to ask..... what does LFS stand for?????
It's probably so simple and obvious I'm going to slap myself, but it's just
not coming to me!
Sue

Get ready to say duh - LFS - local fish store ;-)

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 09-07-2003, 06:57 AM
Just Me \Koi\

You must slap yourself loud enough for us to hear!

BTW (Sue that means by the way), BTW I have been working in the sun for a
few days straight, that should explain anything I do wrong around here! I
expect this situation to continue for the next 2 months! So please excuse
me for any improper behavior, it's the southern California sun exposure!

--