Old 07-07-2003, 08:39 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] Me too! Complete newbie (please be kind)

wrote:

Well, I might as well jump on this bandwagon, since the next one will not be
leaving for some time I expect.

I have sort of decided that I want to dip my toes in and see how cold or
warm the water is. What I would like to try are some Oaks (okay, I might be
dead by the time these come to fruition!), Horse Chestnuts, and maybe a
Weeping Willow or two, all of which I should be able to get youngish samples
of from the wild here. How well, or otherwise, do those types of trees take
to being bonsaified (if there is such a word)?

Thanks,
--
Gary

Oaks are slow growers, but if you find a specimen in the wild you'll be ahead of
the game.

Weeping willow, or any kind of willow, can be rooted in chunks up to 5-6". Just
cut a section of branch, put it in water, and let it sit. It will start sprouting
branches and roots in a week or so. Start it now, however, so there will be enough
time for it to develop before winter.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37