Old 08-07-2003, 02:08 AM
SugarChile

Default Too late to grow veggies?

Right now you could seed bush beans, swiss chard and carrots. If you can
find large (and healthy) potted tomatoes at a garden center, you might still
have a chance with them. In another month or so you could plant snap peas,
cole crops (broccoli transplants, kale, etc.), followed by lettuce and
spinach. Garlic is best planted in the fall. Mache can be seeded in the
fall and will often overwinter for an early spring crop, as will the
spinach. You can hold the greens over the winter even better if you invest
in floating row covers or hoops and plastic. Depends, of course, on what
your winters are like--here it can vary a lot, so fall crops are a bit of a
gamble but an interesting adventure.

Cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA
"JNJ" wrote in message
I'm in SW Ohio, Zone 6. I'm reworking the landscape in my yard and was
thinking of putting in a vegetable garden for next season. The thought
occurred to me that I might be able to get a few crops in during the

current
season as well though -- any thoughts? What might I get to grow?

James