Old 08-07-2003, 02:08 AM
JNJ

Default Too late to grow veggies?

I'm in SW Ohio, Zone 6. I'm reworking the landscape in my yard and was
thinking of putting in a vegetable garden for next season. The thought
occurred to me that I might be able to get a few crops in during the current
season as well though -- any thoughts? What might I get to grow?

James

Old 08-07-2003, 02:08 AM
SugarChile

Right now you could seed bush beans, swiss chard and carrots. If you can
find large (and healthy) potted tomatoes at a garden center, you might still
have a chance with them. In another month or so you could plant snap peas,
cole crops (broccoli transplants, kale, etc.), followed by lettuce and
spinach. Garlic is best planted in the fall. Mache can be seeded in the
fall and will often overwinter for an early spring crop, as will the
spinach. You can hold the greens over the winter even better if you invest
in floating row covers or hoops and plastic. Depends, of course, on what
your winters are like--here it can vary a lot, so fall crops are a bit of a
gamble but an interesting adventure.

Cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

Old 08-07-2003, 04:20 AM
Tim B

Yes, you can start fall crops a few weeks from now. Anything you can plant
in the early spring, you can plant in August.

Old 08-07-2003, 01:32 PM
Pat Meadows

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 00:12:58 GMT, "SugarChile"
wrote:

Right now you could seed bush beans, swiss chard and carrots. If you can
find large (and healthy) potted tomatoes at a garden center, you might still
have a chance with them. In another month or so you could plant snap peas,
cole crops (broccoli transplants, kale, etc.), followed by lettuce and
spinach. Garlic is best planted in the fall. Mache can be seeded in the
fall and will often overwinter for an early spring crop, as will the
spinach. You can hold the greens over the winter even better if you invest
in floating row covers or hoops and plastic. Depends, of course, on what
your winters are like--here it can vary a lot, so fall crops are a bit of a
gamble but an interesting adventure.

You can also seed beets now.

In another month or so, added to the crops already
mentioned, you could start a variety of Asian greens, many
of which will withstand quite a bit of cold in the fall.

Evergreen Seeds (http://www.evergreenseeds.com ) has a
terrific variety of Asian vegetable seeds.

Pat

Too late to grow fruit or veg? Jimoid United Kingdom 7 29-06-2006 07:18 PM
How late is too late? ZeroWing North Carolina 3 20-06-2005 12:24 AM
How late is too late? FBCS Ponds 12 29-08-2003 01:04 AM
Help! Brown lawn. Too short, Too long, Too much water or Too lois Lawns 0 27-08-2003 03:24 AM