Old 08-07-2003, 05:08 AM
Jane VR

Default Mildew on peas?

Gen wrote:

Mildew on peas?
I planted sweet peas and telephone peas on March 17th (of course). I
removed them yesterday as
both varieties ( including the pods that had developed) were covered
in a white dust. Would this be mould? At the base of the plants the
leaves were brown, dead and holey.
Any solutions to avoid repeat performance, please ?
(I am in the Northern Rivers area of NSW...subtropical)

It's called powdery mildew. Lots of sun, and air circulation help. You
can sometimes get resistant varieties as well. Regular spraying
(weekly/fortnightly) with wettable sulphur, or milk, or potassium
bicarbonate will also help prevent it. If it's just on the leaves you
can still eat the peas, but you won't get as many.