Old 08-07-2003, 11:10 AM
anton

Default compost activator

michael cane wrote in message
So, I have a bin on the go, three quarters full, and after following

threads
on this NG I am using the urine method of activation. My question is, how
much is required, and how often. I guessed that copious quantities would be
most effective. Now, I am trying my best, but the neighbours are beginning
to wonder why I am continuously running down the garden, and it gets cold

in
the middle of the night when I have to get out of bed and tackle the
brambles in my pyjamas.

Can any experts enlighten me as to quantity and frequency?

The basic idea is that the bacteria that break down the
material in your compost heap need some soluble nitrogen
in order to grow, and there isn't much available to start with
in clippings, weeds, veg peelings etc. So lack of soluble
nitrogen can slow down the process, and hence limit the rise
in temperature, which slows down the process further.

The point of adding soluble nitrogen via urine, chicken droppings, or
whatever is to 'activate' the heap- once the process is going then the
breaking down of the weeds etc
also yields more nitrogen anyway.

So, er, there's no need to overdo it.

--