Old 08-07-2003, 02:08 AM
shannie

Default compost activator

"michael cane" wrote in message
So, I have a bin on the go, three quarters full, and after following

threads
on this NG I am using the urine method of activation. My question is, how
much is required, and how often. I guessed that copious quantities would

be
most effective. Now, I am trying my best, but the neighbours are beginning
to wonder why I am continuously running down the garden, and it gets cold

in
the middle of the night when I have to get out of bed and tackle the
brambles in my pyjamas.

Ouch, sore on the tootsies!..Have you considered popping into your local
supermarket/grocery shop and asking for one of thos 10ltr buckets they get
mayonnaise in for making potato salad/coleslaw. They come with a lid,
shopkeepers are usually delighted to get rid and you could keep it in your
nice warm bathroom

Shannie

Can any experts enlighten me as to quantity and frequency?

TIA

Old 08-07-2003, 09:06 AM
Paul D.Smith

I believe you are also supposed to dilute it. You may want to work out
whether the "mix" is right or not. Look at the following link for useful
composting information.

http://www.hdra.org.uk/organicgardening/compost_pf.htm

Paul DS.

Old 08-07-2003, 09:32 AM
Chris Norton

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 00:48:41 +0100, "shannie"
wrote:

Ouch, sore on the tootsies!..Have you considered popping into your local
supermarket/grocery shop and asking for one of thos 10ltr buckets they get
mayonnaise in for making potato salad/coleslaw. They come with a lid,
shopkeepers are usually delighted to get rid and you could keep it in your
nice warm bathroom

Shannie

My wife would kill me if I tried that one. Let alone the dog trying to
mess with it!!!!

On the question of how much, I do not think that you have to use a
bucket all the time for it. Just a every now and again. Really just to
get it going.

Old 08-07-2003, 11:10 AM
anton

michael cane wrote in message
So, I have a bin on the go, three quarters full, and after following

threads
on this NG I am using the urine method of activation. My question is, how
much is required, and how often. I guessed that copious quantities would be
most effective. Now, I am trying my best, but the neighbours are beginning
to wonder why I am continuously running down the garden, and it gets cold

in
the middle of the night when I have to get out of bed and tackle the
brambles in my pyjamas.

Can any experts enlighten me as to quantity and frequency?

The basic idea is that the bacteria that break down the
material in your compost heap need some soluble nitrogen
in order to grow, and there isn't much available to start with
in clippings, weeds, veg peelings etc. So lack of soluble
nitrogen can slow down the process, and hence limit the rise
in temperature, which slows down the process further.

The point of adding soluble nitrogen via urine, chicken droppings, or
whatever is to 'activate' the heap- once the process is going then the
breaking down of the weeds etc
also yields more nitrogen anyway.

So, er, there's no need to overdo it.

--
Anton

Old 08-07-2003, 11:26 PM
Drakanthus

So, I have a bin on the go, three quarters full, and after following
threads
on this NG I am using the urine method of activation. My question is, how
much is required, and how often. I guessed that copious quantities would

be
most effective. Now, I am trying my best, but the neighbours are beginning
to wonder why I am continuously running down the garden, and it gets cold

in
the middle of the night when I have to get out of bed and tackle the
brambles in my pyjamas.

Can any experts enlighten me as to quantity and frequency?

I "water" my compost almost every day. It works very well. Ensure you have
reasonable drainage under your heap - i.e. put the container on well dug
soil. If the heap starts to smell then you have put too much on.
For collection, I find ex detergent bottles good - they have an extra large
top and can be closed after use.
I typically use half water half pee.
One thing to watch out for though is that the soil immediately below the bin
can become a bit acid - so move the bin around each time the compost is
turned and remember to add lime to the soil occasionally to keep the soil pH
neutral.

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).