Old 08-07-2003, 12:20 PM
Rich

Default Clematis and rose

Hi,

I have a clematis lasurstern and I planted it in March.Two stems are
now as tall as the fence as they grew straight up.I have another stem
which is nearing the top of the fence.The problem is, is that they are
growing up and not across aswel.So I have just got the plant climbing
up the fence and not actually covering it.How do I get the stems to go
across aswel.I want it to cover the whole fence panel.I also wondered
if I could cut some of the length off one stem and plant it next to
the plant so it grows up the fence along side the clematis that is
already growing.Would this work? What is the best thing to do?

Also, I have got five different roses in my garden and most of the
buds have been out and died.I read that you are meant to pull the dead
buds off, but can I just cut them off? Is this true that you should
pull them off or should I just leave them there?I also read that you
shouldn't feed roses to much because it can kill them but I have been
feeding them with "miracle-gro" and that says you can use it every
week.Should I feed or just water?

Thanks for your help