Old 08-07-2003, 12:20 PM
Rich

Default Clematis and rose

Hi,

I have a clematis lasurstern and I planted it in March.Two stems are
now as tall as the fence as they grew straight up.I have another stem
which is nearing the top of the fence.The problem is, is that they are
growing up and not across aswel.So I have just got the plant climbing
up the fence and not actually covering it.How do I get the stems to go
across aswel.I want it to cover the whole fence panel.I also wondered
if I could cut some of the length off one stem and plant it next to
the plant so it grows up the fence along side the clematis that is
already growing.Would this work? What is the best thing to do?

Also, I have got five different roses in my garden and most of the
buds have been out and died.I read that you are meant to pull the dead
buds off, but can I just cut them off? Is this true that you should
pull them off or should I just leave them there?I also read that you
shouldn't feed roses to much because it can kill them but I have been
feeding them with "miracle-gro" and that says you can use it every
week.Should I feed or just water?

Thanks for your help
Old 08-07-2003, 11:36 PM
Zizz

"Rich" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I've found that nipping the growing stem on a clematis causes it to branch
sideways at the leaf shoots immediately below the nipped off part.
As for roses, some people leave the flowers on to form rose hips, wilst
others take the flowers off once they start fading, it's a matter of
personal preference I think, though I guess leaving the rose hips to form
the rose will put more energy into forming them than producing more flowers.
I tend to snap off flowers on my rose bushes once they start fading (by
grabbing the flower in the palm of the hand with fingers around the base of
the flower and bending to one side).
Feeding of plants should really be done when it's growing or forming
flowers/fruit (not sure how often with roses) as feeding a plant that has
finished it's season of growth, fruiting and/or flowering may encourage it
to carry on producing into winter rather than settle down for a sleep and
rest.
If I'm wrong anyone please correct me as I like my roses and clematis(es)
too )

Old 08-07-2003, 11:37 PM

"Zizz" wrote in message
:
: "Rich" wrote in message
: om...
: Hi,
:
[...]
: L
:
My granular rose feed says to feed twice - once after pruning and once in
the early summer.

Old 09-07-2003, 12:16 AM
andrewpreece

"Rich" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I have a clematis lasurstern and I planted it in March.Two stems are
now as tall as the fence as they grew straight up.I have another stem
which is nearing the top of the fence.The problem is, is that they are
growing up and not across aswel.So I have just got the plant climbing
up the fence and not actually covering it.How do I get the stems to go
across aswel.

Train it using trellis or string or both

I want it to cover the whole fence panel.I also wondered
if I could cut some of the length off one stem and plant it next to
the plant so it grows up the fence along side the clematis that is
already growing.Would this work? What is the best thing to do?

Dunno. Probably not as easy as cutting a bit off and sticking it in the
ground though! I defer to more knowledgeable people.

Also, I have got five different roses in my garden and most of the
buds have been out and died.I read that you are meant to pull the dead
buds off, but can I just cut them off? Is this true that you should
pull them off or should I just leave them there?I also read that you
shouldn't feed roses to much because it can kill them but I have been
feeding them with "miracle-gro" and that says you can use it every
week.Should I feed or just water?

What type of roses? Ramblers generally flower once so deadheading
the flowers is pointless and will deprive you of hips. Some Rugosa
roses ( v. healthy deeply ribbed leaves ) like Fru Dagmar Hastrupp
do not benefit significantly from deadheading either, they will keep
on producing blooms anyway. At the other end of the scale, the shrub
rose ( and climber ) "Masquerade" needs very diligent ( i.e prompt )
deadheading to guarantee further flowers after June.

I believe you can either cut or pull; cutting is less likely to do
collateral
damage. For feeding, either adopt the twice a year method, using slow
release rose fertiliser granules, when the leaves start to develop in April,
and again in late June/early July, or adopt the once a week liquid feed
method in their water.

Andy