Old 08-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Carol Schroeder

Default [IBC] Anyone try Rooterpot?

Yes, I have just tried two air layers using the Rooter Pot. The results aren't in
yet, as the air layers were done about three weeks ago, but I can say a word or two
about my experience. The instructions which came with the Rooter Pot said, "choose
a healthy branch that is no more than 5/8" diameter." This not only limits the size
of the branch, it seems that a branch which is less than 5/8" doesn't work well
because the skinny branch doesn't hold securely in the Rooter Pot's opening and the
Pot keeps slipping. Secondly, the branch must be in an upright position, and if it
isn't, it is necessary to tie it into a vertical position. The Rooter Pot is 4" high
with a diameter of 3" at the top. It has a reservoir at the bottom which should
be filled with water and kept filled as the water is drawn into the potting medium.
As you can probably see (more clearly than I did), a plastic pot of this size and
weight from the water would not be suitable to use on a small tree. It would
overwhelm it With the "right" size branch tied in a vertical position, and the
"right" size tree, the Rooter Pot will, I hope, work well. On the plus side, I
definitely did not need more than one pair of hands. I should add that this is my
first attempt at air layering and I have never tried the more traditional method (
plastic tied securely at both ends) so a comparison between the two, Rooter Pot and
plastic, is not possible.

Carol Schroeder
Columbia, MD. Zone 6/7

Kev Bailey wrote:
Craig Coussins recommends them highly. I've yet to try them myself and for now would
tend to agree with Nic. The one big advantage that I can foresee is that they remove
the need for three pairs of hands ;-)

Nic Steenhout wrote:
It strikes me as one of those gadgets that are going on a long detour to
reach the same place and cost you more than necessary.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++