Old 07-07-2003, 08:02 PM
Nicolas Steenhout

Default [IBC] Anyone try Rooterpot?

Sounds like a nifty idea, but... What's wrong with plastic from a plastic
bag and two twist ties???

It strikes me as one of those gadgets that are going on a long detour to
reach the same place and cost you more than necessary. Dunno though,
haven't tried it.

Nic
http://bmee.net

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 07-07-2003, 08:39 PM
Kev Bailey

Craig Coussins recommends them highly. I've yet to try them myself and
for now would tend to agree with Nic. The one big advantage that I can
foresee is that they remove the need for three pairs of hands ;-)

Cheers

Kev Bailey

Rooterpot looks like a good idea, but does it work for what we're doing?
Just wondering if any of you have heard of this thing.
www.rooterpot.com

Bill Butler

********
********
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/
-- --

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

Old 08-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Carol Schroeder

Yes, I have just tried two air layers using the Rooter Pot. The results aren't in
yet, as the air layers were done about three weeks ago, but I can say a word or two
about my experience. The instructions which came with the Rooter Pot said, "choose
a healthy branch that is no more than 5/8" diameter." This not only limits the size
of the branch, it seems that a branch which is less than 5/8" doesn't work well
because the skinny branch doesn't hold securely in the Rooter Pot's opening and the
Pot keeps slipping. Secondly, the branch must be in an upright position, and if it
isn't, it is necessary to tie it into a vertical position. The Rooter Pot is 4" high
with a diameter of 3" at the top. It has a reservoir at the bottom which should
be filled with water and kept filled as the water is drawn into the potting medium.
As you can probably see (more clearly than I did), a plastic pot of this size and
weight from the water would not be suitable to use on a small tree. It would
overwhelm it With the "right" size branch tied in a vertical position, and the
"right" size tree, the Rooter Pot will, I hope, work well. On the plus side, I
definitely did not need more than one pair of hands. I should add that this is my
first attempt at air layering and I have never tried the more traditional method (
plastic tied securely at both ends) so a comparison between the two, Rooter Pot and
plastic, is not possible.

Carol Schroeder
Columbia, MD. Zone 6/7

Old 25-10-2003, 03:41 PM
Registered User

yeah,i've tried them and obtained numerous plants from the pots.
I can't see how spending a couple of pounds for a reusable pot is going round the trees?if you think messing about with bits of plastic and moss is good, fair enough.I suppose you get the plastic and moss and string etc given free?or do you have to buy them in the first place.?
The pot just saves all of the messing about and it works; what could be wrong with that? some people just wish they had never invented the wheel.

Old 25-10-2003, 06:12 PM
Jim Lewis

--
hackingbush

Must have been someone _else's_ discussion on "GardenBanter". At
least I don't recall anyone here dissing the "Rooterpot"
(whatever it is).