Old 08-07-2003, 03:08 PM
Henry Hartley

Default Spurs on Roses

"Ryan Wilson" wrote in message ble.rogers.com...
I am writing this on behalf of my parents. In their rose garden they have:
William Baffin roses, and one called Simplicity. On two of these plants
there is a little spur that is growing into the leaf. It is red in color and
looks like the end of a medieval mace. It seems to grow right into the rose
plant. It is also very bright red in color...

Hard to say without actually seeing them. My first guess would be
galls from gall wasps. See
http://www.sactorose.org/rosebug/iro...m#GALL%20WASPS. If
you can take a picture and post it to the web somewhere and then send
the URL to the group, we'll have a better chance of identifying it.

--
Henry