Old 08-07-2003, 01:56 AM
Ryan Wilson

Default Spurs on Roses

I am writing this on behalf of my parents. In their rose garden they have:
William Baffin roses, and one called Simplicity. On two of these plants
there is a little spur that is growing into the leaf. It is red in color and
looks like the end of a medieval mace. It seems to grow right into the rose
plant. It is also very bright red in color...
Any help would be great
Ryan Wilson

Old 08-07-2003, 03:08 PM
Henry Hartley

"Ryan Wilson" wrote in message ble.rogers.com...
I am writing this on behalf of my parents. In their rose garden they have:
William Baffin roses, and one called Simplicity. On two of these plants
there is a little spur that is growing into the leaf. It is red in color and
looks like the end of a medieval mace. It seems to grow right into the rose
plant. It is also very bright red in color...

Hard to say without actually seeing them. My first guess would be
galls from gall wasps. See
http://www.sactorose.org/rosebug/iro...m#GALL%20WASPS. If
you can take a picture and post it to the web somewhere and then send
the URL to the group, we'll have a better chance of identifying it.

--
Henry
Old 08-07-2003, 04:19 PM
dave weil

On 8 Jul 2003 06:58:45 -0700, (Henry Hartley)
wrote:

"Ryan Wilson" wrote in message ble.rogers.com...
I am writing this on behalf of my parents. In their rose garden they have:
William Baffin roses, and one called Simplicity. On two of these plants
there is a little spur that is growing into the leaf. It is red in color and
looks like the end of a medieval mace. It seems to grow right into the rose
plant. It is also very bright red in color...

Hard to say without actually seeing them. My first guess would be
galls from gall wasps. See
http://www.sactorose.org/rosebug/iro...m#GALL%20WASPS. If
you can take a picture and post it to the web somewhere and then send
the URL to the group, we'll have a better chance of identifying it.

Wow, this might have answered the question that I had about the weird
growth on my Sweet Briar Rose, which some might remember from the
horrifying pop picture that I posted (I remember Cass saying - "Cut
it! Cut it before it reproduces!!!!!" - well, not exactly g).

Anyway, I found a pic that is similar to that growth he

http://www.sactorose.org/ipm/17hymen...-stemgalls.jpg

Is this something that I should really care about?
Old 08-07-2003, 06:02 PM
Ryan Wilson

Here is a picture of it.. Sorry that its not that clear but I think you can
make it out.
Regards
Ryan

http://members.rogers.com/rwilson1106/spikeyleaf.JPG

Old 09-07-2003, 04:08 AM
Cass

wrote:

"Ryan Wilson" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
[...]

You can read about these wasps. Google cynipid gall rose. I've seen
wild roses completely plastered with these things, and it ain't pretty.
Their young emerge from those galls. I say nuke em.

Old 09-07-2003, 09:09 PM
Anne Lurie

After reading some other responses, I image-googled for "rose gall" and turned up this website http://kaweahoaks.com/html/wild_rose.html which has a really good picture (complete with quarter for size reference). The things are described as "rose leaf galls discovered by KOP Trial Guide, Robert Withey, on May 2, 2001. These have never been observed before." Here's a link to the main page -- http://kaweahoaks.com/html/main.htm the website apparently covers the Kaweah River Delta region in Central California. Based upon the quality of the photos I saw, I immediately bookmarked the website for future reference. I don't know if it's just me, but I have trouble looking at tiny pictures & trying to imagine what something really looks like; some of these photos seem to be life-sized or magnified. (Granted, it helps to have a broadband Internet connection, as the pictures are very detailed.)

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC
zone 7b

Old 09-07-2003, 09:35 PM
Ryan Wilson

Are they supposed to be hollow...when i cut it open it was completely hollow

Ryan
"Cass" wrote in message
.. .