Old 08-07-2003, 11:21 PM
Jacquard_The_Ripper

Default Zone 3 or colder plants? Looking for fragrant/bright, long lasting flowers for Calgary, Alberta.

Hi the

I'm also in Calgary and yes, it's zone 3 a or b depending on who you
ask. Email me offline and I'd be happy to chat with you. I recently
found a terrific local nursery called www.rundlewoodgardens.ab.ca that
specializes in native plants and also other cold weather perennials.

Things that have done well in my west-facing yard are
lillies
sedum, especially the Russian sedum
lillies of the valley (I ordered them from Ontario but they did well).
hostas
arctic irises
Alchemilla mollis
chives .

There aren't too many things that have a really long blooming
season--the trick is to find things that bloom at different times so
you can have blooms all summer.

Cynthia

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 02:22:15 GMT, "Some One"
wrote:

Subject pretty much says it all...

We're located in Calgary, Alberta and are trying to plan our
landscaping. I believe that we are Zone 3.

We prefer tall perennials with bright flowers that have a long bloom
time, with a strong scent.

Can someone suggest a website or book that lists what kind of plants
we can grow successfully in Calgaries very dry, Zone 3 conditions? The
biggest problem is the inconsistancy of the weather... Wearing shorts
at Christmas, yet it did snow at least once every month last year.

Thanks!