Old 08-07-2003, 03:32 AM
Some One

Default Zone 3 or colder plants? Looking for fragrant/bright, long lasting flowers for Calgary, Alberta.

Subject pretty much says it all...

We're located in Calgary, Alberta and are trying to plan our
landscaping. I believe that we are Zone 3.

We prefer tall perennials with bright flowers that have a long bloom
time, with a strong scent.

Can someone suggest a website or book that lists what kind of plants
we can grow successfully in Calgaries very dry, Zone 3 conditions? The
biggest problem is the inconsistancy of the weather... Wearing shorts
at Christmas, yet it did snow at least once every month last year.

Thanks!

Old 08-07-2003, 04:32 AM
Derryl Killan

Hi Get the Calgary Horticultural Society's garden book. And be advised that
there are few long lasting flowering plants out there in Zone 3A.

Derryl - Master Gardener Calgary.

"Some One" wrote in message
a...
Subject pretty much says it all...

Old 08-07-2003, 04:32 AM
jammer

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 02:22:15 GMT, "Some One"
wrote:

Subject pretty much says it all...

We're located in Calgary, Alberta and are trying to plan our
landscaping. I believe that we are Zone 3.

We prefer tall perennials with bright flowers that have a long bloom
time, with a strong scent.

Can someone suggest a website or book that lists what kind of plants
we can grow successfully in Calgaries very dry, Zone 3 conditions? The
biggest problem is the inconsistancy of the weather... Wearing shorts
at Christmas, yet it did snow at least once every month last year.

Thanks!

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/seeds...zone-us-3.html

Here is a seed sight that might help answer your questions

Old 08-07-2003, 12:32 PM
Jan Flora

Bullshit. We can grow prettier, longer lasting flowers in Zone 3,
because of our long daylight up here in the north. Those poor people
down in the small states can't even come *close* to the gardens we
grow up here. I worked as a landscape contractor and gardener in
Zone 7 for years. Boring. The Frozen North is *far* superior for
gardening, IMO.

If you want to see what we grow in my area, look at this website.
This is my neighborhood nursery.

http://www.alaskahardy.com/

Jan, Master Gardener, Vosnesenka, Alaska
USDA Zone 3

In article , "Derryl
Killan" wrote:

Hi Get the Calgary Horticultural Society's garden book. And be advised that
there are few long lasting flowering plants out there in Zone 3A.

Derryl - Master Gardener Calgary.

"Some One" wrote in message
a...
Subject pretty much says it all...

Old 08-07-2003, 02:56 PM
Some One

Thanks all!

That's what I was looking for!

"Some One" wrote in message
a...
Subject pretty much says it all...

Old 08-07-2003, 05:58 PM
Joe Huska

Join the Hort Society so that you have access to the online
information. Great resource. As far as growing "up north" i found that
it was much easier growing in a zone 0b (yes zero) than here in
calgary. The problem is the chinooks and lack of snow cover. My garden
barely freezes and has no snow cover at all during the winter which
makes it hard on the plants.
I have Joe Pye, Meadow Rue, False Sunflower, Coneflower, bellflowers,
Centura, peonys, Speedwell, Bee Balm etc

good luck

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 02:22:15 GMT, "Some One"

Subject pretty much says it all...

Old 08-07-2003, 11:21 PM
Jacquard_The_Ripper

Hi the

I'm also in Calgary and yes, it's zone 3 a or b depending on who you
ask. Email me offline and I'd be happy to chat with you. I recently
found a terrific local nursery called www.rundlewoodgardens.ab.ca that
specializes in native plants and also other cold weather perennials.

Things that have done well in my west-facing yard are
lillies
sedum, especially the Russian sedum
lillies of the valley (I ordered them from Ontario but they did well).
hostas
arctic irises
Alchemilla mollis
chives .

There aren't too many things that have a really long blooming
season--the trick is to find things that bloom at different times so
you can have blooms all summer.

Cynthia

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 02:22:15 GMT, "Some One"

Subject pretty much says it all...

Old 08-07-2003, 11:32 PM
Patty Winter

In article ,
Jan Flora wrote:

If you want to see what we grow in my area, look at this website.
This is my neighborhood nursery.

http://www.alaskahardy.com/

LOL! You folks obviously have some issues up there that we don't
in the Bay Area. E.g., this excerpt from the section on columbines:

For years this extremely hardy perennial has been voted No. 1 by
Alaskans. Columbine thrives and readily self-seeds without being
bothered by moose.

Gee, and the local people here complain about deer! Moose must be
even harder to dissuade!

Patty
Old 10-07-2003, 09:56 AM
Jan Flora

In article , (Patty
Winter) wrote:

In article ,
Jan Flora wrote:

If you want to see what we grow in my area, look at this website.
This is my neighborhood nursery.

http://www.alaskahardy.com/

LOL! You folks obviously have some issues up there that we don't
in the Bay Area. E.g., this excerpt from the section on columbines:

For years this extremely hardy perennial has been voted No. 1 by
Alaskans. Columbine thrives and readily self-seeds without being
bothered by moose.

Gee, and the local people here complain about deer! Moose must be
even harder to dissuade!

Patty

Well, at least moose don't show up in herds in the garden : ) Here on
the coast, we put up fishnet garden fencing, to keep the moose out.
It works pretty well. (Moose are the largest member of the deer family.)

When I lived in Marin County, the deer would come through and wipe
out my roses. (Downtown Fairfax.)

A note on columbine: I planted one last year that was 3" pot size. This
year, it's 3' across, 3' tall and absolutely covered with blooms. Maybe
the composted cow manure I put in that garden bed helped, but man, oh,
man, does that stuff grow well up here!

Jan
zone 3
Old 15-07-2003, 05:23 AM
Andrew Ostrander

My website, www.mts.net/~aostrand lists and describes the plants I've tried
here in Winnipeg, also zone 3 but a very different climate from both Calgary
and Alaska.

"Some One" wrote in message
a...
Subject pretty much says it all...