Old 08-07-2003, 11:36 PM
Drakanthus

Default compost activator

So, I have a bin on the go, three quarters full, and after following
threads
on this NG I am using the urine method of activation. My question is, how
much is required, and how often. I guessed that copious quantities would

be
most effective. Now, I am trying my best, but the neighbours are beginning
to wonder why I am continuously running down the garden, and it gets cold

in
the middle of the night when I have to get out of bed and tackle the
brambles in my pyjamas.

Can any experts enlighten me as to quantity and frequency?

I "water" my compost almost every day. It works very well. Ensure you have
reasonable drainage under your heap - i.e. put the container on well dug
soil. If the heap starts to smell then you have put too much on.
For collection, I find ex detergent bottles good - they have an extra large
top and can be closed after use.
I typically use half water half pee.
One thing to watch out for though is that the soil immediately below the bin
can become a bit acid - so move the bin around each time the compost is
turned and remember to add lime to the soil occasionally to keep the soil pH
neutral.

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).