Old 08-07-2003, 11:37 PM

Default Clematis and rose

"Zizz" wrote in message
:
: "Rich" wrote in message
: om...
: Hi,
:
: I have a clematis lasurstern and I planted it in March.Two stems are
: now as tall as the fence as they grew straight up.I have another stem
: which is nearing the top of the fence.The problem is, is that they are
: growing up and not across aswel.So I have just got the plant climbing
: up the fence and not actually covering it.How do I get the stems to go
: across aswel.I want it to cover the whole fence panel.I also wondered
: if I could cut some of the length off one stem and plant it next to
: the plant so it grows up the fence along side the clematis that is
: already growing.Would this work? What is the best thing to do?
:
: Also, I have got five different roses in my garden and most of the
: buds have been out and died.I read that you are meant to pull the dead
: buds off, but can I just cut them off? Is this true that you should
: pull them off or should I just leave them there?I also read that you
: shouldn't feed roses to much because it can kill them but I have been
: feeding them with "miracle-gro" and that says you can use it every
: week.Should I feed or just water?
:
: Thanks for your help
:
:
: I've found that nipping the growing stem on a clematis causes it to
branch
: sideways at the leaf shoots immediately below the nipped off part.
: As for roses, some people leave the flowers on to form rose hips, wilst
: others take the flowers off once they start fading, it's a matter of
: personal preference I think, though I guess leaving the rose hips to form
: the rose will put more energy into forming them than producing more
flowers.
: I tend to snap off flowers on my rose bushes once they start fading (by
: grabbing the flower in the palm of the hand with fingers around the base
of
: the flower and bending to one side).
: Feeding of plants should really be done when it's growing or forming
: flowers/fruit (not sure how often with roses) as feeding a plant that has
: finished it's season of growth, fruiting and/or flowering may encourage it
: to carry on producing into winter rather than settle down for a sleep and
: rest.
: If I'm wrong anyone please correct me as I like my roses and clematis(es)
: too )
: L
:
My granular rose feed says to feed twice - once after pruning and once in
the early summer.