Old 08-07-2003, 11:37 PM
Alan Holmes

Default Pickled walnuts - how?

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Alan Holmes see sig for reply address wrote:

I found a couple of walnuts on the ground which are obviously
not yet ready to eat as walnuts, so I wondered how one goes
about pickling them.

If it is still available, get hold of Mabey "The Penguin Book of
Jams, Jellies and Chutneys" or something like that. Be warned:
he can't taste "bitter" and so recipes like rowan berry jelly are
uneatable to people who can.

Whilst trying to work out where to find this, I had a brilliant thought,
I wondered if Mrs Beaton had a recipe, and low and behold,
when I looked in the index there was pickled walnut!

Both recipes are a bit long for me to post now - sorry. I have
made both, and prefer the more complicated one, but the other is
the traditional pickled walnut.

If Mrs Beatons recipe doesn't taste very nice I'll be back!

Alan