Old 04-07-2003, 07:09 PM
Alan Holmes

Default Pickled walnuts - how?

I found a couple of walnuts on the ground which are obviously
not yet ready to eat as walnuts, so I wondered how one goes
about pickling them.

Alan

Old 04-07-2003, 08:08 PM
Derek

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 15:20:14 +0100, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

I found a couple of walnuts on the ground which are obviously
not yet ready to eat as walnuts, so I wondered how one goes
about pickling them.

I did have a recipe once but I've forgotten it. :-(

*However* the bit I remember is you prick them with a pin, if you detect a
shell inside it's already too late (the shell has formed). I suppose in that
case it'll be too late for the whole crop on the tree.

You could do that much without breaking the bank!

Take a look here, some links are out of date.

http://members.shaw.ca/pickledwalnuts/links.htm

DG
Old 04-07-2003, 08:44 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Alan Holmes see sig for reply address wrote:

I found a couple of walnuts on the ground which are obviously
not yet ready to eat as walnuts, so I wondered how one goes
about pickling them.

If it is still available, get hold of Mabey "The Penguin Book of
Jams, Jellies and Chutneys" or something like that. Be warned:
he can't taste "bitter" and so recipes like rowan berry jelly are
uneatable to people who can.

Both recipes are a bit long for me to post now - sorry. I have
made both, and prefer the more complicated one, but the other is
the traditional pickled walnut.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-07-2003, 11:02 AM
David W.E. Roberts

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

I found a couple of walnuts on the ground which are obviously
not yet ready to eat as walnuts, so I wondered how one goes
about pickling them.

Alan

Google is a wonderful thing.
Try "how to pickle walnuts" in the search window :-)

Old 06-07-2003, 03:37 PM
Mr E

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

I found a couple of walnuts on the ground which are obviously
not yet ready to eat as walnuts, so I wondered how one goes
about pickling them.

Alan

Google is a wonderful thing.
Try "how to pickle walnuts" in the search window :-)

Hmm, usually good advice, although the first three hits don't work, and the
fourth one is in Welsh. The fifth is about planning school meals, and
eventually you get to one which suggests something relevant!!!!

Take care,

John.

Old 08-07-2003, 12:43 AM
Alan Holmes

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

I found a couple of walnuts on the ground which are obviously
not yet ready to eat as walnuts, so I wondered how one goes
about pickling them.

Alan

Google is a wonderful thing.
Try "how to pickle walnuts" in the search window :-)

What is a 'search window'?

And, what is 'Google'?

Alan

Old 08-07-2003, 11:37 PM
Alan Holmes

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Alan Holmes see sig for reply address wrote:

I found a couple of walnuts on the ground which are obviously
not yet ready to eat as walnuts, so I wondered how one goes
about pickling them.

If it is still available, get hold of Mabey "The Penguin Book of
Jams, Jellies and Chutneys" or something like that. Be warned:
he can't taste "bitter" and so recipes like rowan berry jelly are
uneatable to people who can.

Whilst trying to work out where to find this, I had a brilliant thought,
I wondered if Mrs Beaton had a recipe, and low and behold,
when I looked in the index there was pickled walnut!

Both recipes are a bit long for me to post now - sorry. I have
made both, and prefer the more complicated one, but the other is
the traditional pickled walnut.

If Mrs Beatons recipe doesn't taste very nice I'll be back!

Alan

Old 08-07-2003, 11:43 PM
Alan Holmes

[...]

Courgettes - eat raw? Pickled? David in Normandy[_8_] United Kingdom 19 05-06-2009 05:50 PM
Pickled Vegtables Aluckyguess Edible Gardening 15 13-08-2007 08:17 PM
Pickled chillies? SG1 Australia 22 07-03-2007 05:27 AM
Pickled gherkins - is life too short? David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 4 05-08-2004 02:42 PM
Norwegian Pickled Cucumber PendletonPR United Kingdom 14 18-10-2003 11:12 AM