Old 09-07-2003, 02:12 AM
Sarah Dale

Default Potatoe Woes

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 06:15:44 +0100, Alan Gould wrote:
The flesh of Golden Wonder potatoes is yellow, (which is why they are
much used for crisp making) while Sante are much whiter. We will be
lifting some of our Sante today to make room for other crops, but the
rest of them will need another 2-4 weeks to reach maturity. We have seen
a lot more leaf than flowering on any of our potatoes this year, though
the crop seems to be fairly normal.

Hi Alan,

The husband chose golden wonder, because apparently it is very good for
roast potatoes - or so he claimed! I'd never heard of that variety before!
I personally had wanted to go with either a variety known to be 'easy' or
suitable for clay / heavy soil. But the gardener does have to listen to
the chef's requests ocaasionaly even if he is a damn pest in the herb
garden!

Many thanks for the tip about the colour of the flesh of the 2 different
spuds. I'll dig a couple of tubers up from the other bed and compare them
and see if my vague recolation of which bed is which is correct....

Ta!

Sarah