Old 08-07-2003, 01:56 AM
Sarah Dale

Default Potatoe Woes

Hi All,

I'm having some trouble with me spuds. Ideas and suggestions would be
gratefully received.

I planted Golden Wonder (main) and Sante (2nd earlies) from T&M in
early April. The problem being is that the labels have faded and I can't
remember which is which for definate!!!

Plot A sprouted first, and have grown tall, strong and a nice dark green
colour. They have flowered in the last week or 2, and I dug the first few
up at the weekend. The crop was dissapointingly small... I had to dig up 3
haulms to get enough spuds for 2 adults....

Plot B sprouted 2nd (and I'm almost sure these are the Sante...), and are
a lighter green. These have not done so well, less than half the height of
the other crop. A couple of haulms have gone yellow and died off. A number
of plants are now covered in brown spots.

1) Anybody give me any clues as to which is which plot is which spud?
Technically my best grown crop should be the 2nd earlies, but the small
size when lifted yesterday, plus a sneeking suspician that the Sante are
in PLot B has left me wondering.... (I may email T&M and ask them what
colour the labels on the 2 packs were - I can still see that although not
the text!!)

2) What is causing the brown spots on my spuds foilage? I had a look in
the RHS encyclopedia, and the closest looking thing was chocolate spot....

3) The crop lifted on Sunday was marred by some lumpy patches on the sides
of the tubers - sort of like really bad, raised, execema. Is this potatoe
scab? Having consulted the RHS book, its the only thing I think it can be.

4) Any ideas as to why one plot of potatoes should do so much better than
the other? Plot A had horse manure in Autumn 2001, Spring 02, and grew
lettuce, raddish, beetroot etc. in 2002. Plot B had lots of home made
compost in Autumn 2001 and grew garlic in 2002. Both polts are simiarly
aspected.

Having grown potatoes for the first time last year, using 2 different
varieties of supermarket specials just for fun, and having good results,
this year, using expensive proper seed potatoes is not going so well .
Although it has to be said the foilage on Plot A is pretty impressive and
taking over all the adjacent paths!

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Sarah
Old 08-07-2003, 02:08 AM
Gerry

I don't know about your Sante's but the dark green ones seem to be the
Golden Wonders. You can tell them by the very distinctive violet flower.
Mine were planted later and are just flowering now. Naturally they would be
very small yet.

Brown colouration could also be blight!!

Golden Wonders do well in a light well manured soil. Mine look great here in
Ireland.

Slán

Gerry

--
The reply address is 'OK'
news

Old 08-07-2003, 06:21 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Sarah
Dale writes

I planted Golden Wonder (main) and Sante (2nd earlies) from T&M in
early April. The problem being is that the labels have faded and I can't
remember which is which for definate!!!

The flesh of Golden Wonder potatoes is yellow, (which is why they are
much used for crisp making) while Sante are much whiter. We will be
lifting some of our Sante today to make room for other crops, but the
rest of them will need another 2-4 weeks to reach maturity. We have seen
a lot more leaf than flowering on any of our potatoes this year, though
the crop seems to be fairly normal.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 09-07-2003, 02:12 AM
Sarah Dale

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 00:48:50 +0100, Gerry wrote:
I don't know about your Sante's but the dark green ones seem to be the
Golden Wonders. You can tell them by the very distinctive violet flower.
Mine were planted later and are just flowering now. Naturally they would be
very small yet.

Hi Gerry,

The dark green foilage spuds do have a very pretty violet and white
flower. I am only digging up enough for one meal at a time, and we only
eat spuds 1 - 2 times a wekk, so that should give the rest of the crop
time to bulk up. In the meantime, I'll check out the other patch!

Many thanks,

Sarah
Old 09-07-2003, 02:12 AM
Sarah Dale

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 06:15:44 +0100, Alan Gould wrote:
The flesh of Golden Wonder potatoes is yellow, (which is why they are
much used for crisp making) while Sante are much whiter. We will be
lifting some of our Sante today to make room for other crops, but the
rest of them will need another 2-4 weeks to reach maturity. We have seen
a lot more leaf than flowering on any of our potatoes this year, though
the crop seems to be fairly normal.

Hi Alan,

The husband chose golden wonder, because apparently it is very good for
roast potatoes - or so he claimed! I'd never heard of that variety before!
I personally had wanted to go with either a variety known to be 'easy' or
suitable for clay / heavy soil. But the gardener does have to listen to
the chef's requests ocaasionaly even if he is a damn pest in the herb
garden!

Many thanks for the tip about the colour of the flesh of the 2 different
spuds. I'll dig a couple of tubers up from the other bed and compare them
and see if my vague recolation of which bed is which is correct....

Ta!

Sarah