Old 09-07-2003, 04:20 AM
Cass

Default The rose gods

In article , Unique Too
wrote:

Just this week I found several galls on one rose and spent some time
researching online. I believe this is a bacterial gall, not a wasp. The
plant
is infected from the bacteria which comes from the ground. General consensus
seems to be get rid of the plant right away, disinfect all pruning tools,
replace the soil and don't replant for at least five years. Wow!

Here are some links I found:
http://www.gardenguides.com/articles/rosediseasesbv.htm
http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/roses/disease-disease.html
http://www.ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/BP/BP-26.html
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/pp/not...in002.htm#CROW
NGALLtarget

I haven't removed the rose yet. It stands alone, several feet from any other
roses, and if removed I wouldn't replant in that location anyway. So far I
haven't noticed anything unusual about the performance execpt for some dieback
of the smaller growth. And that isn't very unusual for this large climber.
There are at least 6-8 galls I've found so far, including the crown. Cutting
away part isn't an option. So for now, I'll let it stand and watch it.

Naw, don't do it. Don't be passive. Nuke it. Crown gall and any kind of
canker are bad. You're wasting good growing time for a new plant....I
think you'd better go shopping for a replacement....right now. I
keep thinking my cankered plants are going to outgrow it, but they
don't. I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle, which really ticks me
off, btw, and doesn't do much for my sunny disposition. Plants that
grow backwards....that's just a poor reflection on my horticultural
skills and I take it personally.

Wasn't it Cass who recently said she had POed the rose gods. I don't think
she's the only one!

Rats! I'm not even going to say that I haven't seen.......I just figure
that sooner or later everyone will see everything on their roses.
Builds character. Hey, look at the bright side. We haven't had the
lightning strike yet.