Old 09-07-2003, 11:44 AM
David Poulet

Default soil preparation + cultivators

Well, thanks for the advice. I've gone ahead booked the smaller
cultivator (half the price of the rotovator!), so lets hope the
weather holds for the weekend.

David

Tim wrote in message news:oprrzoz7j706j0ix@localhost...

If I understand oyu right... the 'push along' type has (apart from the
claws) a little wheel, or even just a spike at either the front or back ?
The "driven" one has 2 sets of larger wheels near the back, and maybe an
extra chopper/tiller?

The former one will pull itself along through the earth with the rotary
claws, so you don't have to push it. From my limitied experience it'll be
perfectly ok for 60sq.m. The bigger on is a bit of overkill. Either way
it's quite hard work. The thing to do is NOT do it in the rain or with wet
soil - it'll turn to mud and you really won't get anywhere.

Getting a really fine crumb on the surface would probably be easier withteh
bigger machine if it has the extra choppers fitted (some don't) otherwise
I'd go for the smaller one anyway.

Tim.