Old 09-07-2003, 01:32 PM
Keith Moore

Default 0 Nitrogen

Looks like I might have a problem with low or no nitrogen in my planted tank
(CO2 injected); currently tested Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrare as 0 (Aquarium
Pharm test kit), some of the plants that take N from the water column such
as Limnophilia Aquatica is suffering (lower leaves are browning off), even
the Anubias are starting to look yellow in the older leaves. The fish load
in my 280L is still low at the moment, as I'm basing carrying capacity based
on expected fish sizes (currently 5 SAEs, 13 Ottos, 18 Cardinals, 12 Rummy
noses and 6 Congos). Besides feeding them more (and also getting more
phosphates and possible getting algae), any suggestions, as N appears to be
the limiting factor here? Does anyone know of a source of Potassium Nitrate
in Sydney?

Cheers,
Poe

Poe,

I currently use a A.P test kit for nitrates and have found the target of 5 to
10 ppm seems to be insufficient. I have much better results with levels of
about 25 ppm. I have never used another test kit in comparison so I do not know
if the A.P. test kit reads too low or it is just my particular situation. I
also had a continual problem with black brush algae, and higher levels of
nitrates (25ppm) keeps the BBA well in check.
I went to a local pharmacy (U.S.) and they were able to order it for me.
Keith