Old 05-07-2003, 01:08 PM
Poe Lim

Default 0 Nitrogen

Looks like I might have a problem with low or no nitrogen in my planted tank
(CO2 injected); currently tested Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrare as 0 (Aquarium
Pharm test kit), some of the plants that take N from the water column such
as Limnophilia Aquatica is suffering (lower leaves are browning off), even
the Anubias are starting to look yellow in the older leaves. The fish load
in my 280L is still low at the moment, as I'm basing carrying capacity based
on expected fish sizes (currently 5 SAEs, 13 Ottos, 18 Cardinals, 12 Rummy
noses and 6 Congos). Besides feeding them more (and also getting more
phosphates and possible getting algae), any suggestions, as N appears to be
the limiting factor here? Does anyone know of a source of Potassium Nitrate
in Sydney?

Cheers,
Poe

Old 05-07-2003, 01:08 PM
Ron Nelson

Poe,
I know I was able to find it on eBay here in the US. But there might be
problems shipping it international. Couldn't hurt to look into that though.

Good luck,
Ron

. au...

Old 05-07-2003, 02:08 PM
Poe Lim

That's actually what I did, as well as do a search on Google, and phone
several hydroponics places (all had pre-mixed stuff)...

Cheers,
Poe

"Ron Nelson" wrote in message
I know I was able to find it on eBay here in the US. But there might

be
problems shipping it international. Couldn't hurt to look into that

though.

. au...

Old 06-07-2003, 07:08 AM
Pierre-Normand Houle

"Poe Lim" wrote in message . au...
That's actually what I did, as well as do a search on Google, and phone
several hydroponics places (all had pre-mixed stuff)...

You might be able to order salpetre ( "saltpeter" in US English) in a pharmacy. Saltpetre
is plain just plain potassium nitrate. I got some that way.

I've also found another suggestion here :

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/sources/sources.html

Old 06-07-2003, 01:20 PM
James Williams

"Poe Lim" wrote :

Does anyone know of a source of Potassium Nitrate
in Sydney?

We have "Stump Remover" that is Potassium Nitrate. It's a white powder
intended to be poured in holes you drill in the stump to help it decompose.
Pure enough that I use it to make rocket motors.

---

Old 06-07-2003, 02:08 PM
Poe Lim

Thanks; I can get it from chemical supply companies, but at 500g at a time
(when 50g will probably last me a year or two...).

May try my local butcher or chemist.

Cheers,
Poe

"Pierre-Normand Houle" wrote in message
. ..

Old 07-07-2003, 11:56 AM
Poe Lim

Unfortunately we don't have any stump remover of the chemical type in the
hardware stores when I checked. Ended up ordering some via a chemist who
coincidentally needed some anyway for meat preparation. I think it's quite
difficult to obtain potassium nitrate here due to its potentially explosive
nature.

Cheers,
Poe

"James Williams" wrote in message
m...

Old 07-07-2003, 01:08 PM
James Williams

"Poe Lim" wrote :

I think it's quite
difficult to obtain potassium nitrate here due to its potentially

explosive
nature.

That's funny!

They would also have to make sugar hard to come by since that is my
other ingredient!

I have also found it in larger bags at the Farm supply stores, where one
can also get sulfur and carbon.

---

Old 08-07-2003, 07:08 AM
Tasslehoff

If you want to PAY through the teeth for it you can pick up a 500g container
made by Chem Supply (Crown Scientific being their Melbourne distributor)
which is around $80 but then that's about 30 years supply I think.

Old 08-07-2003, 01:20 PM
Graham Broadbridge

Hiya Poe,

Have you tried asking your local pharmacy? I ask my local chemist (in
Pymble) to order in pure chemicals and they look it up and order it.
Sometimes they ask why I need it.

Regards
Graham.

. au...

"Ron Nelson" wrote in message
I know I was able to find it on eBay here in the US. But there might

be
problems shipping it international. Couldn't hurt to look into that

though.

. au...

Old 08-07-2003, 02:08 PM
Poe Lim

I ended up doing that at my local chemist (coincidentally he had just place
an ordere for some for sausage making); I could actually order from the
suppliers, but didn't want 500g, when I only needed at most 100g for the
next 2-3 years.

Cheers,
Poe

Old 09-07-2003, 01:32 PM
Keith Moore

[...]

I currently use a A.P test kit for nitrates and have found the target of 5 to
10 ppm seems to be insufficient. I have much better results with levels of
about 25 ppm. I have never used another test kit in comparison so I do not know
if the A.P. test kit reads too low or it is just my particular situation. I
also had a continual problem with black brush algae, and higher levels of
nitrates (25ppm) keeps the BBA well in check.
I went to a local pharmacy (U.S.) and they were able to order it for me.
Keith