Old 09-07-2003, 02:44 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] Complete newbie (please be kind)

wsallen wrote:

snip

The reason I am not buying nursery plants or ready-made bonsai is the cost.
I'm not exactly rich and can't see paying money to murder poor innocent
plants to get good at this. I've got a fairly decent track record with
vegetable gardening and indoor plants where, while not exactly along the
same science of Bonsai, at least I have had a little luck with

horticulture.
And I have plenty of patience.

I hear you there! However if you purchase some hardy type plants that strike
easily from cuttings you can get several trees for the price of one. In my
own area (Perth, Western Australia) that would be Ficus sp. and Chinese
Elms.

Join your local club. The are an invaluable source of local knowledge,
cuttings, books (club library) and demonstrations.

Cheers,
Heidi Aussie

I understand Sean's reluctance to buy nursery material, but from my perspective,
the money I spent on trees that didn't make it was the cost of my initial
education. It's going to cost something either way.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++